Cleaning carbs

More
24 Aug 2013 17:22 #602901 by 74ullc
Replied by 74ullc on topic Cleaning carbs

geerbangr wrote: Thanks for the info 74 !! I've disassembled and cleaned a few dozen carbs in my time. Just never fooled with a set that has sat as long as these have. I'm about half afraid to open them up because they're probably filled full of crud. If they're to bad I'll boil them out in antifreeze. That's what we do to stained ,gummed up engines and pipes in the RC helicopter world.

I'm hoping the parts will clean up nicely and I can get away with some gaskets instead of 4 rebuild kits. I probably over paid for the bike when I bought it so in order as to not get scalped by the wife I'm trying to limit my funds spent on this bike.

I've never boiled with antifreeze. Just be sure that whatever you do it will not discolor the carbs., remember that the carbs are very visible so you want them to look good.

The carbs in the link I posted are almost identical to yours. I think the only difference will be that yours will not have an air screw, just the fuel screw.

You probably wont need to buy kits You're better off using the original parts anyways if possible. Your gaskets might even be ok if you're careful when you take them apart.

Wear safety glasses when spraying cleaner into these passage ways, alot of times the spray will come out a different hole right directly at your eyes!

You're going to have to post more details on this bike. I need pics! I'm a sucker for original condition bikes. If yours has been sitting since only 2 yrs old it must be a time machine!

Someone will probably post the pics of how to clean the pilot circuits soon.

Also go ahead and plan to replace the carb holders and airbox tubes.....betting your old ones fall apart when you remove the carbs.
About $140 for those two sets from Z1Enterprises but well worth it.

Gulf Coast, Texas
1977 KZ1000LTD
1984 VF700F

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Aug 2013 17:30 - 24 Aug 2013 17:31 #602902 by geerbangr
Replied by geerbangr on topic Cleaning carbs
74 if you go to the project forum on here and look under saved another old KZ you can see the pics I posted. I nicknamed the bike Oscar because he's dirty and looks like I just pulled him out of a garbage can. I pecked around on the chrome all over the bike and it looks as if it'll clean up like new,not mint but it'll make a very nice driver.

I'm out of town working but once I get back home and the work begins on Oscar ill be asking many questions and posting lots of pics.

Oh yeah there'll be no need for air box tube replacement because the original owner put stacks on it.

1978 KZ 1000

I go by Jason
Last edit: 24 Aug 2013 17:31 by geerbangr.

More
24 Aug 2013 17:32 #602903 by 74ullc

bountyhunter wrote:

geerbangr wrote: As for the diaphragms , they can be removed yes ?

Yes, but be very careful removing the slides/diaphragms as they stick and are easily torn.

Your bike should have VM26SS carbs, no slide diaphragm in those. Thank goodness. If still stock should have 105 mains and 15 pilots, 5DL31-3 needles with clip in middle (3rd) slot.

You don't happen to be in Texas do you? Maybe Houston area?

Gulf Coast, Texas
1977 KZ1000LTD
1984 VF700F

More
24 Aug 2013 17:38 #602904 by 74ullc

geerbangr wrote: Oh yeah there'll be no need for air box tube replacement because the original owner put stacks on it.

I would recommend you go back to the original airbox if possible. I have a few spare airboxes but am missing some parts. If you do decide to go back to stock airbox members here can help you round up the parts.

But you should just get it running first. If it ran with stacks before it should again. I'll check out your project thread.

Gulf Coast, Texas
1977 KZ1000LTD
1984 VF700F

More
24 Aug 2013 17:42 #602906 by geerbangr
I'm sure not in Texas ,lol. I'm in the eastern part of Ohio.

1978 KZ 1000

I go by Jason

More
27 Aug 2013 10:56 #603322 by 43rdslim
Replied by 43rdslim on topic Cleaning carbs
We use an Ultrasonic cleaner here at my shop, by the time they come out they look brand new
Attachments:

More
30 Aug 2013 02:06 #603875 by geerbangr
43rd, wow those carbs look like brand new. Tell me more about cleaning them ultrasonically.

74, why are you suggesting I go back to the air box and not run stacks ?

1978 KZ 1000

I go by Jason

More
30 Aug 2013 10:27 #603902 by 43rdslim
Replied by 43rdslim on topic Cleaning carbs
www.ultrasonicsdirect.com/laheulcl19.html Click on the link and read up on it. This is the exact ultrasonic cleaner we use here at my shop. Cleaning carbs by hand doesnt even compare to what an ultrasonic can do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Trust me on this. The one I have is pricey yes but for someone working out of a garage you wouldnt need one as big as I have.

geerbangr wrote: 43rd, wow those carbs look like brand new. Tell me more about cleaning them ultrasonically.

74, why are you suggesting I go back to the air box and not run stacks ?

More
05 Sep 2013 00:49 #604942 by geerbangr
That ultrasonic cleaner is a pricey fella. :ohmy: does this cleaning system remove paint from parts cleaned in it ? I fool around with cars a lot and this could be a wise investment if I can get plenty of bang for my buck.

1978 KZ 1000

I go by Jason