No Fuel Flow into Carbs

• PaulyWally
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Total Bike Newbie
More
14 Aug 2013 22:08 - 14 Aug 2013 22:09 #601482 by PaulyWally
No Fuel Flow into Carbs was created by PaulyWally
I disassembled my carbs, gave them a "good enough" cleaning just to start the bike, and even replaced the floats. The floats are not the exact part for my carbs, but they were the closest I could find.

While the floats are not to exact specifications, they do appear very operable in my carbs. From what I can tell, they are for the same brand carbs (Mikuni), same model (BS38), but with slightly different specs because they were put on a Yamaha (instead of a Kawasaki). Here is where I got them from:

www.mikesxs.net/product/20-6500.html

Anyway... I put everything back together, and began to set the float level on Carb #1. Upon turning on the fuel, the float bowl immediately filled to about 3mm. The service manual says 4.5mm-6.5mm. So I took the float bowl off, did a tiny bend-a-roo of the float tang, and reassembled. But now, the float bowl didn't fill... at all. I checked a few things, and double-checked to make sure I didn't bend the tang poorly. Nothing. I then decided to give carb #2 a try. I didn't even get fuel into the float bowl on the first try.

Fuel is flowing freely out the fuel line if I disconnect the fuel line from the carb and open the petcock.

So... now that I explained everything... what should I check first to get the fuel flowing into the carbs? And, should I be able to blow air into the fuel intake nipples on the carbs? Because I can't.

1976 KZ750 Twin
Last edit: 14 Aug 2013 22:09 by PaulyWally.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
14 Aug 2013 22:20 #601485 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic No Fuel Flow into Carbs
There are two adjustments on the float. One tang you've experienced. But there is also Float Drop, where the float needs to be able to hang open with out hitting the bottom of the bowl or other obstruction. This is a small tang next to the Pivot. Also you could be hitting the float on the bowl or something making it not hinge.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
15 Aug 2013 02:41 - 15 Aug 2013 02:42 #601519 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic No Fuel Flow into Carbs
That's what I was thinking. maybe the edge of the bowl gasket dragging on the float making it stuck up? Anyway, something keeping it up far enough to keep the valve closed.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 15 Aug 2013 02:42 by bountyhunter.

More
15 Aug 2013 03:15 #601522 by nickleo373
Replied by nickleo373 on topic No Fuel Flow into Carbs
Sounds to me like the float tang is bent too much causing your valve to remain shut

1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"

More
15 Aug 2013 03:26 #601524 by nickleo373
Replied by nickleo373 on topic No Fuel Flow into Carbs
my.mobileweb.ebay.com/authwatchitem?item...psite=100&watch=true
Not sure if you saw those on ebay. Not sure if they're the right ones for you but I figured it was worth a shot

1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"