• imon_2nd
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Architect & Engineer
More
11 Aug 2013 20:16 #600898 by imon_2nd
Gas coming out the tank cap? WTF? was created by imon_2nd
Hello, all.

I need some help. Yes, I've searched the old posts here.

My 1997 KZ1000P runs just fine, except for one thing: recently, gas started flowing out of the filler cap while riding and after riding while it's parked in my garage. The flow is small enough that it evaporates before it runs off the lower edge of the tank. This happens even when the tank is less than half full. How is this possible? Bike mechanic says I need a new gas cap. OK, but why? He doesn't really know, just says the seal and other rubber parts there are shot.

Cheers,

Dave

Keepin' the rubber side down.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
11 Aug 2013 20:21 #600901 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Gas coming out the tank cap? WTF?
You can get a new gasket for the cap, from z1enterprises. Then I would disassemble the cap, and make sure the vent holes are clean.
You could also add some heat shielding to the bottom of the tank. Many later bikes have this stock, not sure about yours being a cop bike. The auto stores or online for the insulating shielding.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
11 Aug 2013 20:43 #600904 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Gas coming out the tank cap? WTF?
I would take a close look at the cap to make sure the vent is not obstructed, clean the vent if necessary, and replace the rubber gasket. That should solve the problem. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• imon_2nd
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Architect & Engineer
More
11 Aug 2013 21:17 #600915 by imon_2nd
Replied by imon_2nd on topic Gas coming out the tank cap? WTF?
Thanks, gents. Will do.

Still a mystery how gas could flow uphill. You'd think a pressurized tank would tend to overflow at the carbs or into the airbox. The oil is not contaminated, so it's not getting into the motor.

Dave

More
11 Aug 2013 21:29 #600919 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Gas coming out the tank cap? WTF?
I wonder if it is fuel that splashes up into the cap internals and when you shut the engine off pressure (from the hot engine heating the tank) pushes it out the vent? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
13 Aug 2013 00:08 #601151 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Gas coming out the tank cap? WTF?
I don't know the style of cap used on your police bike, but if it's the rectangular piece of junk as used on the 79/80 MKIIs ect, they will always leak. The vent through the keyway in the cap will condense gas and gas will run down your tank. Actually I've even sat on the sidestand in hot weather and due to fumes going uphill actually had gas running "uphill" on the tank. I replaced the gasket, then the whole cap to no avail. Bad design on that rectangular cap.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
14 Aug 2013 14:34 #601426 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Gas coming out the tank cap? WTF?

RonKZ650 wrote: I don't know the style of cap used on your police bike, but if it's the rectangular piece of junk as used on the 79/80 MKIIs ect, they will always leak. The vent through the keyway in the cap will condense gas and gas will run down your tank. Actually I've even sat on the sidestand in hot weather and due to fumes going uphill actually had gas running "uphill" on the tank. I replaced the gasket, then the whole cap to no avail. Bad design on that rectangular cap.

It is not a bad design and seal well as long as all the rubber pieces are in good condition. I have the retangular one on my ELR Clone, 82 GPz750 tank. It too leaked and I fought it for about 1 year. I replaced the large rubber gasket with a new one and it still leaked. The vent holes were clear and working correctly but it still leaked. Found a small rubber o-ring that seals the key tumbler all cracked and falling apart. Put in a new one, I have no leaks now. You have to completly take the gas cap aprat though to get at it. The o-ring is nothing special, I just took it down to the hardware store and found one that was close, $.57 and leak fixed.

More
15 Aug 2013 00:32 #601509 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Gas coming out the tank cap? WTF?
I never could make that cap work on the MKII, just got used to it. The motorcycle had 500 miles on it when I got it, has 80,000 now and it's leaked for 79,500 miles so far despite replacing the seal on the old cap and even replacing the entire cap with a brand new Kawasaki cap. I found I could minimize leaking by never hotrodding the bike if tank was more than 1/2 full, and never park in the sun, but if parking in the sun was unavoidable, make sure tank was less than 1/2 full. Even at 3/4 full, in the sun, gas would leak.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• imon_2nd
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Architect & Engineer
More
23 Aug 2013 14:45 - 23 Aug 2013 14:50 #602791 by imon_2nd
Replied by imon_2nd on topic Gas coming out the tank cap? WTF?
Gents;

Yes, it's the rectangular cap.

I replaced the entire cap with a brand new one from Kawasaki that is chromed, not black like the original. The problem is solved. My garage no longer smells like gas and there are no dribbles on the tank when parked in the sun. And, my fuel economy is back up to 42 MPG on regular Chevron (was down to 30 MPG during the leaky time).

Cheers,

Dave

Last edit: 23 Aug 2013 14:50 by imon_2nd.

More
23 Aug 2013 15:16 #602796 by DesertKZ
Replied by DesertKZ on topic Gas coming out the tank cap? WTF?
Dang I wish I would have seen this sooner, just went through this on my KZ1000. There's a small o-ring inside the vent that gets squished and rotted, I replaced it and everythings good now (it's about the size of a dime.)

1979 KZ1000 Shaft
1979 CX500C
1975 GT750 Smoker

More
23 Aug 2013 22:43 #602828 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Gas coming out the tank cap? WTF?

DesertKZ wrote: Dang I wish I would have seen this sooner, just went through this on my KZ1000. There's a small o-ring inside the vent that gets squished and rotted, I replaced it and everythings good now (it's about the size of a dime.)

Where'd you get the replacement o-ring? How about the dimensions? Thanks.