Suddenly running hot and having trouble idling.

More
09 Aug 2013 01:12 - 09 Aug 2013 01:13 #600536 by hangedk
Hey everybody, I have a 1979 KZ1000 C2 running a MKII engine with pods. I put about 2500 miles on it since I got it with absolutely no issues whatsoever, but within the last couple of weeks it's been having a tough time idling and seems to be running hot. In fact, the other morning I got sidetracked for a few minutes while letting it warm up on full choke and came out to the #1 cylinder header glowing red hot. BURNING UP! I shut it off and let it cool down and haven't had that issue since. I've checked for vacuum leaks, I've looked at the plugs, and the ignition seems to be working just fine. This is my only vehicle and my daily ride, so I'm pretty stressed about it.Any ideas?
Last edit: 09 Aug 2013 01:13 by hangedk. Reason: left something out

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Aug 2013 01:50 #600542 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic Suddenly running hot and having trouble idling.
How do the spark plugs look? Are you running lean? That could be causing the issue. If you are running at highway speed and turn on the chioke and it runs better or starts running cooler then it is running lean.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
09 Aug 2013 10:07 #600571 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Suddenly running hot and having trouble idling.
Check your valve clearances. Make sure they are not to tight.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
09 Aug 2013 10:17 #600573 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic Suddenly running hot and having trouble idling.
Hot could be caused by fuel starvation. Make sure the fuel is flowing effectively. If you have any rust inside the fuel tank, it's possible (likely) it will accumulate around the petcock filter.

If you pull the fuel hose off the carbs and place in a can or bottle, open the petcock and watch the fuel flow.

Additionally, make sure the fuel cap vent is clear. If this is plugged, fuel will start to flow, then slow way down.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
09 Aug 2013 12:52 #600591 by baldy110
What they said and if this just started take a look at your intake manifolds for vacume leaks, that will cause a lean condition and make your idle all weird.
Also FYI DO NOT start an air cooled bike and let it idle for long, it relies on air passing over the engien to cool it. Sitting in a garage or driveway idling is not good for them at all.

More
09 Aug 2013 19:30 #600627 by loudhvx
If the valve clearances have worn too small, that will make it idle worse and worse as it warms up. But will run fine when cold.