Help with accel pump

More
31 Jul 2013 18:34 #599281 by Vulcan125
Help with accel pump was created by Vulcan125
I realize this has pobably been posted several times, but cannot find my answer. On other forums they say that a '77 kz650 shouldnt have accel pump carbs, but i have 2 now that are like this. Ive looked at Kawasaki micro fiche on the internet and they show that is should have pump. My question is this: if they are stock how do i get a new diaphragm, if not how do i identify what year the carbs came from?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
More
31 Jul 2013 18:46 #599285 by slayer61
Replied by slayer61 on topic Help with accel pump
There are some very sharp people on this forum. I'm not one of them. :blush: Please post some pictures of your carburetors so that the smart people might tell you what you have.

Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

[strike]Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit[/strike]
Wife's BIG bike......[strike] 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and [strike]factory FI[/strike] Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods[/strike] SOLD

More
31 Jul 2013 19:24 #599292 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Help with accel pump
A photo may help, just to make sure what carburetors you have.

Most KZ650s came w VM24 carbs. Z1Enterprises.com sells a K&L accelerator pump rebuild kit that includes the ball, weight, clip, & spring. The diaphragm may still be available from the Kaw dealer - I don't know if it comes as a kit or just the diaphragm.

More
31 Jul 2013 21:29 #599322 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Help with accel pump
The 1977 KZ650 models did not come with an accelerator pump. If yours has an accelerator pump it is from a later model. Check to see if it also has the vacuum port near the vent port on carb #2. The 1977 KZ650's did not have that either because they came with manual petcocks. Does your bike have a manual or vacuum actuated petcock? As martin suggested, pictures of the carbs would help. Are you positive your bike is a 1977? Can you post some pictures of the bike or the VIN (minus the last 2 numbers) stamped on the steering neck? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
09 Aug 2013 16:37 #600610 by Vulcan125
Replied by Vulcan125 on topic Help with accel pump
Weelll, once again I prove I shouldn't be playing with tools. Double checked VIN's and found both are '79's. Sorry, but thanks for the posts!