How do i take off the timing advancer on my 82---

More
31 Jul 2013 17:44 - 31 Jul 2013 17:46 #599270 by swaluda
I want to clean and grease the timing advancer. I took off the side cover and saw 2 magnetic pickups 180 degrees apart from one another. There a bolt between them. When I turn it the crank spins??????????? Hmmm,,,,,Stan 82 Kawa 1100 d2 spectre
Last edit: 31 Jul 2013 17:46 by swaluda. Reason: add info

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
More
31 Jul 2013 18:51 #599287 by slayer61
Cool, you're under the right cover! That's a good start.
Mark exactly where the pick-up plate is mounted, and remove it, leaving the wires attached. Under the pick-up plate you'll find the advance mechanism. Springs and weights etc. clean, clean, clean, and lubricate. Now as Clymer says, "Installation is the reverse of disassembly!"

Good luck, Paul

Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

[strike]Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit[/strike]
Wife's BIG bike......[strike] 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and [strike]factory FI[/strike] Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods[/strike] SOLD
The following user(s) said Thank You: swaluda

More
31 Jul 2013 19:20 #599290 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic How do i take off the timing advancer on my 82---
After removing the pulsing coil, put a 17mm wrench on the crankshaft nut & remove the inner timing advancer bolt.
In the future whenever you have to turn the crankshaft, do so by using the big nut, not the advancer bolt.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nitrokrumpt

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
31 Jul 2013 21:56 #599325 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic How do i take off the timing advancer on my 82---
On yours, the three screws which hold the plate with the pick-up coils can only bolt back in one spot, unless someone slotted it. One hole, the top one, will locate it.
The advancer comes off like posted,. Then the inner hub and the outer rotor come apart. This means taking the springs and weights off. Then the clip on the end. Now this is where you either need to look at the factory marks or make some that you can see easy. Because you can easily reassemble 180 out.
You will see when the two are separated, the grove and bore that needs cleaning and then lubing. I use a Bosch Distributor special high temp grease.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
01 Aug 2013 09:33 #599388 by swaluda
i'm going for it, wont get done just looking at it. One bite at a time.. Thanks guys Stan