Combustion Chamber Cleaner for Cleaning Carbs?

• PaulyWally
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Total Bike Newbie
More
28 Jul 2013 21:42 - 28 Jul 2013 21:44 #598781 by PaulyWally
I've decided to give my carbs a little cleaning to see if I can get my bike started. I also wanted to do some inspection to determine if an entire rebuild is needed.

I poked around the internet for a couple hours, trying to find out the best method to use. I read a lot of complaints about how "new carb cleaner doesn't work as well as the old stuff." In addition, some other suggestions pusheed me toward Combustion Chamber Cleaner (of the Mopar brand).

I've got an old lawn trimmer that wasn't starting, so I decided to 'test' the Combustion Chamber Cleaner on that thing. What I found was that it left an oily film on all the carb parts. I don't know if that's good for carb parts, so I cleaned off the oily film with WD40... which seemed to remove the residue pretty well. Then I wiped them all down with paper towel and blew them all with compressed air (and hit all the passage-ways).

I still have more work to do on the trimmer, so I didn't get it started. But I'm worried about continuing to use the Combustion Chamber Cleaner on carb parts.

Any thoughts on this subject?

Thanks in advance!

1976 KZ750 Twin
Last edit: 28 Jul 2013 21:44 by PaulyWally.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
28 Jul 2013 22:17 #598789 by wireman
Sea foam in the gas tank,best/easiest carb cleaner I know of on a running engine anyway

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
28 Jul 2013 22:37 - 28 Jul 2013 22:37 #598793 by Haybus
I soaked my carbs in 50/50 Simple Green and water for 24 hours. Then scrubbed them with hot water. Then probed all the passage ways with a very small wire. Then blew compressed air, of the can variety with the squeeze trigger and straw, through the passage ways like shown in the FSM to make sure all circuits were clear. You could use carb cleaner in the aerosol with the straw too, but I didnt have any. I did this once to my carbs and seemed to work. Compressed air/fluids should be used sparingly on carbs and only as a diagnostic. I don't believe just soaking carbs will clean junk from passage ways, only softens/loosens what's in there so you can dislodge it with a wire or torch cleaner.

Alan

Welcome back Wireman.

1976 KZ900 LTD (sort of)
2005 FJR
2009 Hayabusa
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/557845...-streetfighter-build
Last edit: 28 Jul 2013 22:37 by Haybus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
28 Jul 2013 23:29 #598816 by Nebr_Rex
Replied by Nebr_Rex on topic Combustion Chamber Cleaner for Cleaning Carbs?
If your going to run some thing thru the tank try Berryman 's b12.
It won't leave an oily residue, Sea Foam does but it works just as well.
Just throwing another option out there.
As for spray can stuff, I use CarQuest's house brand.

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

Attachments:

More
29 Jul 2013 03:23 #598840 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Combustion Chamber Cleaner for Cleaning Carbs?

PaulyWally wrote: I've decided to give my carbs a little cleaning to see if I can get my bike started. I also wanted to do some inspection to determine if an entire rebuild is needed.

I poked around the internet for a couple hours, trying to find out the best method to use. I read a lot of complaints about how "new carb cleaner doesn't work as well as the old stuff." In addition, some other suggestions pusheed me toward Combustion Chamber Cleaner (of the Mopar brand).

I've got an old lawn trimmer that wasn't starting, so I decided to 'test' the Combustion Chamber Cleaner on that thing. What I found was that it left an oily film on all the carb parts. I don't know if that's good for carb parts, so I cleaned off the oily film with WD40... which seemed to remove the residue pretty well. Then I wiped them all down with paper towel and blew them all with compressed air (and hit all the passage-ways).

I still have more work to do on the trimmer, so I didn't get it started. But I'm worried about continuing to use the Combustion Chamber Cleaner on carb parts.

Any thoughts on this subject?

Thanks in advance!

WD-40 will leave oily residue on everything. Get some spray carb cleaner or non chlorinated brake cleaner. It leaves no residue.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• PaulyWally
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Total Bike Newbie
More
29 Jul 2013 12:59 - 29 Jul 2013 13:03 #598899 by PaulyWally
Replied by PaulyWally on topic Combustion Chamber Cleaner for Cleaning Carbs?
Brake parts cleaner is ok for carbs? Will it hurt any non-metal parts?

Will simple green hurt any non-metal parts?

I ask because I will be disassembling the carbs to clean them. And I'm wondering what parts I can and cannot clean with certain cleaners.

1976 KZ750 Twin
Last edit: 29 Jul 2013 13:03 by PaulyWally.

More
29 Jul 2013 16:38 #598945 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Combustion Chamber Cleaner for Cleaning Carbs?

PaulyWally wrote: Brake parts cleaner is ok for carbs? Will it hurt any non-metal parts?

Will simple green hurt any non-metal parts?

I ask because I will be disassembling the carbs to clean them. And I'm wondering what parts I can and cannot clean with certain cleaners.

Protect anything rubber like the diaphragms from any chemical solvents. Most carburetors use plastic that is resistant to strong solvents. I have not had any problems using commercial carb cleaners or non chlor brake cleaners.

I don't use simple green or water based cleaners.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
30 Jul 2013 14:29 #599090 by ed spangler
Replied by ed spangler on topic Combustion Chamber Cleaner for Cleaning Carbs?

wireman wrote: Sea foam in the gas tank,best/easiest carb cleaner I know of on a running engine anyway

I agree with wireman!! :)
I use SeaFoam in my '75Z1-B 900 gas tank.
Follow regular "Mixing instruction during the riding season.
When its sat all winter I double the mix ( label says to do that for "Cleaning" on first tank of season.
Since I started doing this, my bike runs and starts much better. :woohoo:
Seafoam also says it acts as a "Stabilizer" for Winter/Storage use. just my .002 ;)
Regards
TennesseeZ Ed

Have 1975 Kawasaki Z1-B & 2003 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic
Had Hondas, Harleys and many ,many Z Series Kaws both Std. & LTD's

• PaulyWally
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Total Bike Newbie
More
30 Jul 2013 15:41 - 30 Jul 2013 15:44 #599095 by PaulyWally
Replied by PaulyWally on topic Combustion Chamber Cleaner for Cleaning Carbs?

ed spangler wrote:

wireman wrote: Sea foam in the gas tank,best/easiest carb cleaner I know of on a running engine anyway

I agree with wireman!! :)
I use SeaFoam in my '75Z1-B 900 gas tank.
Follow regular "Mixing instruction during the riding season.
When its sat all winter I double the mix ( label says to do that for "Cleaning" on first tank of season.
Since I started doing this, my bike runs and starts much better. :woohoo:
Seafoam also says it acts as a "Stabilizer" for Winter/Storage use. just my .002 ;)
Regards
TennesseeZ Ed

That sounds great. Unfortunately my bike isn't running. On top of that, all I can start her with is the kick start. So I'm going to disassemble the carbs for a good cleaning. I'm also finding that this bike was abused quite a bit prior to my acquisition of her. In that sense, I feel like a tear down might be more apt.

Thanks!

1976 KZ750 Twin
Last edit: 30 Jul 2013 15:44 by PaulyWally.

More
30 Jul 2013 15:43 #599097 by th00r
Give Sea foam a try... I´ve been using it in my jeep after many water trails and runs really good after all the abuse I have given him. just yesterday used sea foam in my EFI kz1000 who used to die while hard opening the throttle from idle (too much air due clogged injectors ?). Today she idle as brand new and recovered a fastest throttle response.

I used 2/3 in the fuel, 1/6 in vacuum not letting her die, 1/6 in vaccum letting her die and then rest all night.

When the carbs and chambers get flooded with so much fuel+seafoam and little O2 it dies, letting the liquid trapped there. There is where the cleaning magic really happens.

After 12 hrs the first run made her trow out all the dirty seafoam (where from? I want to believe it was the return hose from pump) and keep puffing white smoke for 2 miles.

Current:
2013 BMW F800gs
2012 HD Seventy Two 1200cc
1980 KZ1000 G1 1000cc
Sold but still loving:
2009 Vento Avia 125cc
2008 Vento Thunder 300cc
2005 Vento Rebelian 150cc