76 kz400d idle at 3500

More
19 Jul 2013 22:13 - 19 Jul 2013 22:16 #597380 by deboss
76 kz400d idle at 3500 was created by deboss
Hey guys. This is my first posting on the forum and looking for some much needed help with my kz. I'll just lay it out there with everything that I've done up until this point.

The guy who owned it honestly jumped the bike every time he started it so I got a new battery.
Here is a list of what I have already done:
1. Got new boots from some advice on the forum. Had to file them a bit and they are shorter than stock but the bike has pods so it doesn't seem to be that big of a deal (I think).
2. Set points gap, cleaned points and have timed it the best I can.
3. Fully cleaned out the carbs
4. Bought new main jets as the O-rings on the old ones were shot. Upped the size since I figured the bike hasn't been getting enough fuel cause the idle is so high. Bought 135's and 140's. Stock is 130 I believe.
5. Made new rubber plugs that go above the slow and idle jets. (Should be in good enough working order).
6. Replaced float bowl since brass overflow broke off.
7. New float bowl o-rings
8. Set fuel level to just about 1/8'' below float bowl level
9. Checked and altered pods to not cover air bleed tubes on back of carbs

Where I'm at right now:
The bike can start just fine normally and idles very nicely. However, after about 8 1/2 minutes it will be all the way at 3500 and will only go back down if I completely turn off the idle screw at which point is slowly dies. I will only have the idle screw barely touching the throttle and it will be at 3500. Really, the idle is the biggest problem at this point. When I ride it, also, the bike will eventually start to idle around 4000-45000 which is really not good stopped at a stop light as you can imagine. I haven't ever really checked valve clearance because I think this is a problem in the carbs somewhere. If it starts to idle high after enough time could it have used most of the fuel in the bowls and not been getting enough? It has a leak in the petcock but not too bad.

I'm seriously at a loss at this point. I live with some guys who work on motorcycles a lot and they are lost too. I check this forum every day and tweak small things but nothing seems to be working. Does anybody have some advice out there?
Last edit: 19 Jul 2013 22:16 by deboss.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jul 2013 22:25 #597384 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic 76 kz400d idle at 3500

deboss wrote: .......... I will only have the idle screw barely touching the throttle and it will be at 3500. .............

It sounds like one of the problems is the throttle stop screw adjustment. If the bench sync was performed when the throttle stop screw was not set in a centered position, the throttle stop screw will not decrease the idle speed of the engine. You can try this – set the throttle stop speed approximately in the middle of its range. Then lower each of the slides an equal amount using the sync adjusters until the engine idles at the correct rpm. Then sync the carbs. This should at least give you some idle speed control using the throttle stop knob. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.