kz440 petcock

More
18 Jul 2013 20:19 #597175 by tugboatmatt
kz440 petcock was created by tugboatmatt
So I just unwrapped my 1980 kz440 from storage for the last 2 months, and tried to start it, when to my surprise, the petcock was leaking all over the place! not a slow drip either, a full on drizzle. It seemed to be coming out of the adjustment dial itself, rather than from the seal between the petcock and the tank, nor was it coming from the fuel line. I am wondering if I can fix this or if I need a new petcock. I would prefer to keep this one since all the aftermarket ones I am seeing don't have the "Prime" function.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jul 2013 20:44 #597183 by Samwell
Replied by Samwell on topic kz440 petcock
If you'd like to keep it stock then check out: www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?i...um%29&item=KL18-2698

Jeff and company at Z1 will sell you a rebuild kit to replace the worn and degraded rubber bits. As for the after market parts and 'prime'. You petcock is vacuum operated. The prime goes around this and lets you fill the float bowls after the carbs are drained. If the aftermarket one isn't vacuum operated then it doesn't need a prime becasue fuel flows all the time - remember to turn it off after every ride!

Hope this helps.

--
Current Rides: 2013 BMW R1200GSW, 1972 BMW R75/5
Current Project: 1978 KZ1000A2: Supercrank'd by Falicon, APE studs and nuts, Dyna Green coils, powder coated frame and fenders, Stainless brake lines, dual front discs, pods, Kerker Exhaust, 1075cc with JE pistons
The following user(s) said Thank You: tugboatmatt

More
19 Jul 2013 10:07 #597274 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic kz440 petcock
The typical rebuild parts are still available from the dealer. Z1Enterprises.com can get them & they also have K&L rebuild kits. K&L parts are made in Japan & seem to be oem quality. I've never had a problem w any of their stuff.

Disassemble & clean the petcock. I used PineSol & hot hot water and scrubbed w a toothbrush. It's a good solvent & doesn't corrode the metal parts. Inspect the contact surfaces for pitting n stuff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tugboatmatt