'76 900 LTD carb issues?

More
12 Jul 2013 17:14 #596212 by Eben
'76 900 LTD carb issues? was created by Eben
I am a proud new owner of a KZ900 LTD, bought it from the widow so didn't have any info about the bike from the owner/rider, hadn't been ridden since 2007. I got it running and was excited to ride it, but it had some issues. I have put new kits in the carbs and bench synched them (without any special tool, just a wire that mic'd at .027). The baffles were rusted and coming out of the original 4 into 2 exhaust, so I gutted them and I am running straight pipes until I can afford a new 4 into 1 header. I was getting frustrated with the stock air box so I put on new K&N pods. I installed new points, set them and the timing.
When I started it up it didn't want to run very good, wouldn't go over 5000 RPM and back fired some. The exhaust looked like it was starting to turn blue. I assumed it was running too lean because of the combination of new pods and lack of back pressure with the straight pies. I pulled the jets which were 115's, and installed the 118's that also came with the rebuild kits. It ran better and I took it for a test ride, it died and had no power at all. I pulled the plugs and they are the BR7ES and the outside plugs were black and sooty. So I am about to put new plugs in and see what happens.
I just received the Dyna ignition and will be getting that in so I can hopefully scratch any point issues off my list.
Any input on the jetting? Any insights are greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2013 21:48 #596244 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic '76 900 LTD carb issues?
Plugs should be B8ES. Jets should be around 20/120 with the needle in the third slot.

Check the voltage to the coils. You need 12 volts. Those coils are very old. A set of green Dyna coils would help a lot.

Do the voltage check first. Clean all the connectors and get some plugs.

The stock plug wires caps have resistors in them. As I Said, They are old.

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eben

More
13 Jul 2013 01:00 - 13 Jul 2013 01:02 #596270 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic '76 900 LTD carb issues?
If not already done, would also assure ignition timing is correct, and that the timing advancer isn't frozen in the idle position.

If needed, there's a a down-loadable Factory Service Manual for the standard model 900's in KZr's FILEBASE that covers much information also applicable to the LTD model.

Click here > Z1-KZ900 FSM

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 13 Jul 2013 01:02 by Patton.
The following user(s) said Thank You: roy-b-boy-b, Eben