Crapped out cv carbs !

More
08 Jul 2013 23:11 #595625 by hawkman
Crapped out cv carbs ! was created by hawkman
So I am done..... I cannot dial in my mikuni bs 38 cv's. I don't have the air box nor do I plan to replaced it so that leaves me with pod style air filters. The nightmare of the constant velocity carbs came to ahead when the right carb started leaking out the overflow tube and wouldn't stop. So I pulled the carbs to adjust the floats, and reassebled them... It won't start worth piss now. Yea so know I am wondering formula can I use to select new style slide carbs? The bike is a '76 b twin and displaces 750 cc's. I have more restrictive than stock mufflers as the oldies rotted out and the ear splitting open pipes won't due. also I wondered if going single carb would do justice for fuel milage? Thanks for any info.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jul 2013 13:37 #596444 by Dpasch
Replied by Dpasch on topic Crapped out cv carbs !
So how much time have you put into cleaning the carbs? did you just adjust the float height and thats it? going to a single carb is a no no...just take a break, with a lil time an patience you can have it running corectly. first thing i would do is disassble the carbs, take the pilots out, the main jets out, the needles the float valves and the fuel air screws and verify that none are worn or bent, make sure the jets are clean that you can see light through them reassemeble the carbs. now this is based on experience but what i do is make sure the carbs are somewhat synced by looking a where they sit and try to get them roughly the same.oh an its very very important you set the float heights the same. if you get those off then you always going to screw with it. which i believe they are 24mm +-1mm. the way i set mine is i flip them over an have the sit the the same angle as they sit in the bike except flipped, then i make a l shaped ruler out of hard plastic the size that i need (24mm) and measue off the base of the carb to make sure its the right height.they way i do it is i want to see it move the float just very very slightly so that it takes up the slack the spring causes.set both the same. close it up, then set the fuel air screws....i do mine different. i set mine rich then move it in, these carbs have larger pilots so they take a fair bit air in. i would start at 2 turns out from seated then fire the bike up and see how rich it is, then move them in 1/8th of a turn at a time till she's not puffing black like a diesel. you want it to be a lil rich because your running it without load once you throw some weight on it, its going to lean out...if you really want to see where your at for you fuel setup and you like to tinker pick up a colortune sparkplug. that was the best investment ive made...ive tuned carbs on bikes with pods that everyone told me couldnt be done. after i was done she ran like a top. mind you i put in probably 12 hours fine tuning it, but im one of those people that if you say i cant do it im going to do what i can to prove you wrong

1976 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin
1982 Kawasaki KZ550

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.