T joint leak

More
07 Jul 2013 13:34 #595379 by sig
T joint leak was created by sig
I noticed a leak that seems to be coming from the middle of the carbs. It drips down to the idle screw. I checked the hose and clap, they're good. Recently cleaned the carbs, no recent adjustments. Still using the air box.
It's a pretty slow drip that tends to leak more with the choke open and idling (warming up the bike) Anyone have experience with this?
Here are my carbs:

Attachment image_2013-07-07.jpg not found

1982 KZ650H CSR
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2013 13:40 #595380 by QNman
Replied by QNman on topic T joint leak
Well, your FIRST problem is your carb is mounted sideways.... :silly:

But seriously... could your float on that carb be out of adjustment? Perhaps a worn needle valve seat? I'm just spitballing...

• uglee
  • User
  • New 2da game but Tru 2this thang!!!!!
More
07 Jul 2013 14:24 #595387 by uglee
Replied by uglee on topic T joint leak
If the tee is leaking google it. I found that if u find a piece of fuel line that fits really tight over the end of it then clamp the carbs together it will seal. Just be sure to have it positioned it the right angle to connect fuel line cause it will be hard to move.

More
07 Jul 2013 19:13 - 07 Jul 2013 19:18 #595427 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic T joint leak
Would first positively identify the exact location of the leak.
Could close petcock, drain carb bowls, and allow carbs to thoroughly dry.
Using a flashlight, open the petcock and watch closely at suspected leak area to see gasoline begin seeping through.

Be sure the leak isn't simply due to a poorly fitting or cracked fuel hose where it attaches to the fuel pipe.

May wrap Teflon tape around the raised rib areas on the fuel pipe (aka "tee joint").
Yellow Teflon tape is reportedly more fuel-proof than the white Teflon tape.

But if going to the trouble of dismantling the carbs, may prefer the option of replacing the fuel pipe.
Click here > www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?i...inum&item=ZSM05-1010

According to kawasaki.com, the part is still active as part no. 92005-1036 available through Kawasaki dealerships.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 07 Jul 2013 19:18 by Patton.

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
07 Jul 2013 19:39 #595431 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic T joint leak
My t joints leaked when I first fired up the bike after 20 years of sitting but after they got wet with fuel they swelled up and stopped leaking and haven't leaked in 11,000 miles.

Have these carbs been in service or have they been sitting around dry for a long time ?

Like Patton said they are available in OME or aftermarket , check with Z1E

78 KZ1000 A2A

More
07 Jul 2013 20:50 #595441 by sig
Replied by sig on topic T joint leak
The carbs have well over a decade of sitting, up until a month ago. I'll try the teflon tape if it persists. Maybe cover the area in small paper towel wraps and make sure I know where the leak is exactly.

1982 KZ650H CSR

More
08 Jul 2013 10:42 #595523 by H1Vindicator
Replied by H1Vindicator on topic T joint leak
If it is the fuel tee, you could try wiggling it around. It worked for me.

More
08 Jul 2013 11:10 #595528 by JR
Replied by JR on topic T joint leak
Looks to be the same carb as mine.
It can be difficult to pinpoint a gas leak.
I had a leak on either side where the T entered the carb bodies. It happened a few years ago after I had the carbs off for work during winter downtime. I drained the carbs and put JB Weld around each side and gave it 24 hours to set. Of course I couldn't move the T with the JB Weld there but that was no big deal. JB Weld will work.

Some time later I picked off the JB Weld and the leak had stopped. I figure that like bluej58 the O rings had dried out and then with gas swelled up again and created good seal.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
08 Jul 2013 12:19 #595536 by sig
Replied by sig on topic T joint leak
Thanks for the heads up. I'll be keeping any eye on them. This bike did some sitting so many things have been getting back into the groove.

1982 KZ650H CSR

More
30 Jul 2013 11:31 #599071 by rvlu83
Replied by rvlu83 on topic T joint leak
had same problem on 1981 kz440 d-2. I went to z1-enterprize and found aluminum pipe joint for kz1000 (due to new part for mine non existant), cut it to length of mine (32.7mm) and for the diameter, mine is 8.8 mm and the new part is 10mm, I put one end in a drill and used emery cloth till 1.2 mm sanded off. i used orings from harbor freight. aluminum pipe joint cost $18 and orings were $15 and no plastic to break off again! hope this helps. good luck

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
30 Jul 2013 14:11 #599085 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic T joint leak
I had a dry /sitting for a while set of carbs that the T leaked on...it swelled up after being exposed to fuel and never again leaked....i was turning the fuel off at first and it would not swell up...i parked it on the side stand over some dirt overnight...it went away...my 2 cents

bluej58 wrote: My t joints leaked when I first fired up the bike after 20 years of sitting but after they got wet with fuel they swelled up and stopped leaking and haven't leaked in 11,000 miles.

Have these carbs been in service or have they been sitting around dry for a long time ?

Like Patton said they are available in OME or aftermarket , check with Z1E

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
30 Jul 2013 14:51 #599091 by kzz1king
Replied by kzz1king on topic T joint leak
I had the same issue when I used oderless paint thinner to set float levels. I needed some new seat so I didnt flush with gas right away. Leaked like a sieve but stopped in short order and has been good since.
Wayne

74 Z1 1075, 29 smoothbores, owned and ridden since 1976
Home built KZ1000 turbo setup

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532476...s-budget-turbo-build

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532489-74-z-makeover