carburetor kerfuffle '76 kz900

More
07 Jul 2013 12:14 #595374 by SeattleKZ
carburetor kerfuffle '76 kz900 was created by SeattleKZ
I have a 1976 KZ900 with stock carbs, 4 into 1 exhaust and velocity stacks. It came with the stacks on it and I might change them out for something else later. For the time being I'd like to just get the bike running as is and then sort out the pods/air cleaner situation later.

When I got the bike it had electrical problems and now all of those are fixed plus it has a Dyna Electronic ignition and an after market reg/rec. The timing is spot on and the valves seem to be adjusted within tolerance.

Here's what the bike is doing........

It starts right up with the choke on and idles. Once warm when I try to turn the choke off it won't idle and dies.

The idle adjustment is turned all the way in and I've tried it at all possible settings with no avail.

With the choke half on it will rev up to red line with no hesitation. I suspected it was clogged pilot jets so I cleaned the carbs.

After cleaning the carbs thoroughly there was no change at all.

I forgot what jets are on there but I cold look at them again and post that info later.

Does anybody know what I should check first in this situation?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2013 12:22 #595375 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic carburetor kerfuffle '76 kz900
It sounds to me like someone removed the stock airbox but did not rejet (or properly rejet) the carbs, so they are running too lean. I suggest you either replace the airbox or rejet the carbs and see if that solves the problem. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
07 Jul 2013 13:42 #595382 by QNman
Replied by QNman on topic carburetor kerfuffle '76 kz900

650ed wrote: It sounds to me like someone removed the stock airbox but did not rejet (or properly rejet) the carbs, so they are running too lean. I suggest you either replace the airbox or rejet the carbs and see if that solves the problem. Ed

I'd second this. Sounds exactly right.

More
07 Jul 2013 18:42 #595419 by SeattleKZ
Replied by SeattleKZ on topic carburetor kerfuffle '76 kz900
Anybody know what size jets would work with stacks? The PO told me he road it with the stacks on but you know he could have been less than truthful.

More
07 Jul 2013 22:25 #595457 by QNman
Replied by QNman on topic carburetor kerfuffle '76 kz900

SeattleKZ wrote: Anybody know what size jets would work with stacks? The PO told me he road it with the stacks on but you know he could have been less than truthful.

He also could have ridden it with the choke half on. I've actually been told by a potential seller that you "need to do that" on a bike I looked at (I walked away).

More
07 Jul 2013 23:22 #595468 by SeattleKZ

QNman wrote:

SeattleKZ wrote: Anybody know what size jets would work with stacks? The PO told me he road it with the stacks on but you know he could have been less than truthful.

He also could have ridden it with the choke half on. I've actually been told by a potential seller that you "need to do that" on a bike I looked at (I walked away).

Haha, yeah, I've herd some pretty funny stuff from people relating to carbs.

I'll try putting some pods on it and see if that makes it better. If it does then maybe I'll try to find a stock air box or just find a jet size/setting that works with pods.

More
07 Jul 2013 23:49 #595477 by elfmagic17
Replied by elfmagic17 on topic carburetor kerfuffle '76 kz900
Have you checked the carb holders for vacuum leaks? I had the same problem with my 650 and found the holders leaking at the mounting surface of the head.

Kenny Hicks
74 Honda CB550
75 Honda CB360 (runs and rides good but not a show bike)
77 KZ650B1 (Runs Great, but needs painted and a little work.)

More
08 Jul 2013 00:11 #595483 by SeattleKZ

elfmagic17 wrote: Have you checked the carb holders for vacuum leaks? I had the same problem with my 650 and found the holders leaking at the mounting surface of the head.

not yet, i usually check those at idle but haven't been able to get to do that. i'll try to check them

More
09 Jul 2013 15:01 #595706 by mtkawboy
Replied by mtkawboy on topic carburetor kerfuffle '76 kz900
Why would you want velocity stacks on a street bike, arent the rings wearing out fast enough for you ? There is no shortage of posts on this, give it a try. The secret is to put "any date" in under the search length or you only get the last week or so

78-KZ1000/1105, 80 KZ1000, 82 Kawasaki GPZ750, 95 Harley Fatboy, 80 Suzuki GS1100ET, 81 GS1100E parts bike, 83 GS1100SD Katana/1394,78 Yamaha XT500, 81 Yamaha XS650, 78 Yamaha XS650E, 48 Whizzer model J motorbike, 71 Honda CT70H, 71 Honda CT70, 81 IT 250 Yamaha,82 Honda XL100S owned

More
09 Jul 2013 20:21 #595741 by SeattleKZ

mtkawboy wrote: Why would you want velocity stacks on a street bike, arent the rings wearing out fast enough for you ? There is no shortage of posts on this, give it a try. The secret is to put "any date" in under the search length or you only get the last week or so

I didn't put the stacks on it....like I mentioned in my first post. I do want to put on a stock air box or pods...like I mentioned in my first post. I did not know the search secret though and will try it.