CV34 rich issue

More
06 Jul 2013 11:50 #595273 by SubieWrench
CV34 rich issue was created by SubieWrench
Hello All,

I'm new here, but have been looking at your forums for over a year now. The wealth of knowledge has made trouble shooting my 1982 KZ750 LTD much easier. I would like to hear some feedback on my current issue. My CV34 carbs have been updated with a 6Sigma jet kit. before I installed the jet kit I had a problem with the number 4 carb being way rich. While installing the jet get I thoroughly cleaned all carbs, ran small filament wire through all the holes, and cleaned again. I checked all of my floats height with a millimeter rule and installed new float needles. After installing the new jets the bike runs great except for the number 4 carb running way rich. The exhaust temperature is 150 degrees lower than the other three. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your advise. Below are before and after pictures of my bike.

Attachment 0630122024_2013-07-06.jpg not found

Attachment my750-2_2013-07-06.jpg not found

You see, I don't know how to ride a motorcycle, actually.
Henry Winkler
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2013 12:13 #595279 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic CV34 rich issue
Hello, SubieWrench, and WELCOME to KZr! :cheer:

...checked all of my floats height with a millimeter rule....

Even a precisely measured dry float height may fail to produce the correct fuel level.

A too high fuel level in an otherwise perfect carb results in a excessively rich fuel mixture.

Would perform the clear tube test in order to assure that the fuel level is within specs.

The clear tube test shows the actual level of fuel inside the carb float bowl, and is referred to in shop manuals as the "service fuel level."

The clear tube test is quick and easy to perform with carbs fully assembled and already installed on the engine.

While performing the test, the motorcycle should be on its center stand or being held upright balanced and level.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: SubieWrench

More
06 Jul 2013 12:19 #595280 by SubieWrench
Replied by SubieWrench on topic CV34 rich issue
Thanks for the quick reply Patton. I will research on how to do this.

Henry Winkler

More
06 Jul 2013 15:29 #595290 by SubieWrench
OK ran out and got some clear tubing and followed the instructions. this was the result. about 3.5 mm below the bowl seal line.

Attachment 20130706_133240.jpg not found

Henry Winkler
Attachments:

More
06 Jul 2013 16:01 #595292 by Topper
Replied by Topper on topic CV34 rich issue
What's the float level spec in your manual? For my '79 KZ750 twin it's 4.6-6.5mm below bottom edge of carb body. Yours is likely different.

Permanent and perpetual noob.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

More
06 Jul 2013 17:16 #595305 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic CV34 rich issue
If fuel levels in the other carbs are about the same, can likely rule out fuel level as the issue.

Could remove or swap #4 pod for a test run to help rule out an obstructed pod.
And double-check to assure the #4 pod isn't obstructing entrance to the pilot circuit, as some pod designs are prone to do.

And renew or swap the spark plug in #4, and visibly observe for a fat blue spark on removed plug when cranking or kicking over.

If not already done, would perform a compression test and compare on #4 cylinder to the others.
And also check the valve clearances, especially on #4. If clearances are too tight, compression may be lost when the engine attains normal operating temperature.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
07 Jul 2013 13:41 #595381 by SubieWrench
Thanks for the updates guys. I have tested with the pods off, same result. Topper, mine calls for +/- 4mm. I will bring home my compression tester on Monday and check those. Then I will follow up with valve clearance as soon as time permits.

Henry Winkler