rpms wont drop need somme ideas

More
03 Jul 2013 13:20 #594876 by KZ-Izzo
rpms wont drop need somme ideas was created by KZ-Izzo
so when i let off the throttle my rms are not dropping and i can visually see the the carbs are fully closed when the throttle is released. ive torn them apart and cleaned them but they still are doing it. any ideas and help would be appreciated.

Live Fast
1980 KZ1000 b4 ltd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jul 2013 13:58 #594878 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic rpms wont drop need somme ideas
2 questions -

Are the rpm high even when you first start the engine?
Does the throttle stop knob lower the rpm if you turn it counter-clockwise?

Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
03 Jul 2013 15:44 #594889 by KZ-Izzo
Replied by KZ-Izzo on topic rpms wont drop need somme ideas
at idle and when starting its fine as long as i dont pull the rpms past 4k. ive had the tank off and the cable free and clear so nothing is pinching it and sprayed some lube down it. the throttle stop knob? basically just used to control idle? but yes when i turn it it will lower rpms.

Live Fast
1980 KZ1000 b4 ltd

More
03 Jul 2013 17:07 #594902 by 650ed
OK, so far - so good. Yes, the throttle stop normally is used to adjust the idle speed.

If you haven't done so, I would check the carb holders for leaks. They eventually will develop tiny cracks in the mating surfaces between the holders and the cylinder head and cause poor idle. These cracks cannot be seen with the carb holders in place. I suggest you try the following. Get the engine warmed up and temporarily set the idle as low as possible without killing the engine. The lower the better (certainly below 1000 rpm) because with the idle very low the slides are about shut and the vacuum inside the carb holders is at its highest. Then spray carb cleaner around the carb holders, especially where they mate with the cylinder head and where the carbs attach to them. If the engine dies or seems to react to the carb cleaner, you need to replace the carb holders.

If that is the case, before you even try to remove the carb holders screws soak them for a couple days with Kroil. Otherwise you may strip or break them as many on this forum have done.

Another possibility is that the timing advancer is sticking and slow to return to the normal advance level when the rpm varies from high to low. This can be corrected by cleaning and lubing the advance mechanism. Ed

More
03 Jul 2013 21:40 #594953 by asevans
Replied by asevans on topic rpms wont drop need somme ideas
Had the same problem. Cleaned up the advancer and retimed. Go now.

1976 kz900 Mostly stock
1978 Z1-R Project

More
03 Jul 2013 22:22 #594965 by KZ-Izzo
yea i tried checking for leaks the other day and it didnt cause any change when i sprayed them buut i am ordering new ones today just in case. but i will deff try and do the timing advance tomorrow thanks for the help and ill post again if there is no change.

Live Fast
1980 KZ1000 b4 ltd

More
04 Jul 2013 03:22 #595007 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic rpms wont drop need somme ideas
I had the same problem. As soo as I cracked the throttle it would hang up. If I leg the clutch out a bit with the brake on in gear it would drop the idle back down.
Solution : disassembled the entire timing advancer, cleaned, lubed the hell out of it and reassembled.
It has worked great ever since.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

More
04 Jul 2013 03:55 #595009 by KZ-Izzo
yea thats basically what i have to do. deff going to take a look at that tomorrow.

Live Fast
1980 KZ1000 b4 ltd

More
04 Jul 2013 20:09 #595081 by KZ-Izzo
so took the timing advance off and cleaned it and lubed it and reset it but it did not fix the problem. think im going to take the carbs back apart and completly rebuild them. any places where i can get the parts seperetly as i dont need the jets since mine are only like 2 months old. basically just need the need gaskets springs those parts

Live Fast
1980 KZ1000 b4 ltd

More
04 Jul 2013 20:56 #595091 by 650ed
Before you pull the carbs there's one more thing you may want to try. Disconnect the throttle cables at the carbs then start the bike and give it some revs by manipulating throttle at the carbs. This will totally eliminate any possibility of a cable issue. If the revs still stay high you can at least eliminate the cables as a suspect. If the revs drop to normal, there's a cable or throttle grip issue. What the heck, if you're going to pull the carbs you'll need to disconnect the cables anyway, so it's worth a try. Ed

More
04 Jul 2013 21:06 #595092 by KZ-Izzo
yea that was on of the first things i tried to do, but thanks for all the help if the new holders and rebuilding the carbs dont work lol ill be back on here lol

Live Fast
1980 KZ1000 b4 ltd

• nitrokrumpt
  • User
  • she just looks rough now
More
15 Jul 2013 19:57 #596654 by nitrokrumpt
Replied by nitrokrumpt on topic rpms wont drop need somme ideas
im still having rpms staying way high when i pull the clutch in changing gears...only time they go down is switching the gear and letting out the clutch??? :blink:

1982 kz750-n1 spectre