Keihin CV32 leaks from drain plug

More
01 Jul 2013 18:55 #594621 by Seiya
Keihin CV32 leaks from drain plug was created by Seiya
Hi,

So I've been progressing slowly but consistently on restoring my KZ750 to rideable condition. I rebuilt the carbs and finally got them installed yesterday, after making sure the float bowls all are at the same height (-4mm from the top of the bowl).

I have clear vinyl lines hooked up to all the drain bowls. Even with the screws tightened and new o-rings on the screws, at least three of my bowls drip gas.

My understanding is that this can be caused by a cracked overflow tube, but I noticed the tips of the drain screws are pretty eroded (how did that happen?). I rebuilt the tips with JB weld, but may not have done a great job.

So my first question would be if it's possible that worn out screw tips can cause the leaking. They are pretty expensive so I would like to rule that out first.

If it's a cracked overflow tube, I understand it's as simple as finding a brass tube that will fit snuggly over it and put it on as a sleeve - is this correct?

Thanks!

1981 KZ750 LTD restoration project

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
01 Jul 2013 21:48 #594641 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Keihin CV32 leaks from drain plug
I'd replace the brass tube. Not hard to do.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
03 Jul 2013 11:48 #594867 by Seiya
Replied by Seiya on topic Keihin CV32 leaks from drain plug
Thanks, I will do this first. I have a hobby shop nearby with pretty much everything you could want to build your own R/C aircraft, they have brass and aluminum tubes in all diameters. I'll extract the old tubes and replace them with new tubes of similar length.

Another question. How are the hoses routed from the drain plugs to the airbox? I haven't seen a diagram and I don't see where the hoses would plug into the airbox. I got the airbox from a Spectra so it may be slightly different.

• Grumpy Ole Artist
  • User
  • Eschew Obfuscation!
More
03 Jul 2013 12:37 #594871 by Grumpy Ole Artist
Replied by Grumpy Ole Artist on topic Keihin CV32 leaks from drain plug
Don't try to plug your drain lines into the airbox!!! they are supposed to go under airbox/in front of back tire/over rear pivot and dangle so fuel overflow runs onto ground.

1978 KZ650 B2
Former rides...1976 CB360T, 1985 Shadow 700, 1985 GPZ750Turbo
The following user(s) said Thank You: Seiya

More
03 Jul 2013 12:56 #594874 by Seiya
Replied by Seiya on topic Keihin CV32 leaks from drain plug
Got it! I read somewhere else that they went into the airbox so I was puzzling about that. Makes sense.