found problem but

• nitrokrumpt
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • she just looks rough now
More
25 Jun 2013 03:25 #593829 by nitrokrumpt
found problem but was created by nitrokrumpt
the extra set of carbs i have has 14 holes instead of 10 holes in the needle jet holder. can i just put one in a carb, or 2, or all 4 and try and tune her. Or should i really try and find an exact one? obviously the bent one is the stock holder with less holes. probably also the culprit of my hanging of the rpms, if not let me know what this would cause other than the valve staying wide open. I also have a couple misc. questions. recommendation of oil for the clutch, and recomended lube or grease you use on your timing advancer. actual make of product please. hey thanks guys

Attachment bentvalv.jpg not found

1982 kz750-n1 spectre
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nitrokrumpt
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Jun 2013 03:27 #593830 by nitrokrumpt
Replied by nitrokrumpt on topic found problem but
oh and is this common to see these bent????? i feel like this is a big mystery how this happened.

1982 kz750-n1 spectre

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
25 Jun 2013 07:57 - 25 Jun 2013 08:01 #593843 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic found problem but
If that bent needle jet isn't the cause of your hanging idle speed, then it is so horribly worn out on the inside that it needs to be replaced. That is to say that the fit of your jet needle to needle jet should be very close. If the needle jet is visibly bent, there is no way it could be working properly.

I can't begin to speculate how it got so bent, but replacing it with a different needle jet will only cause different tuning problems. If it were me, I would source the correct, new, OEM needle jets and jet needles and get those carbs right. There should be an alpha- numeric part number inscribed on the original needle jets. Despite whatever trauma caused the bending, needle jets get worn from normal use and should be replaced. Think about that needle as your carbs are working. It raises and lowers as you change throttle positions. The air flow constantly pulls the needle to one side of the hole in the jet. As the needle moves up and down it acts like a file on the edge of the hole. Over time the holes in your needle jets become oblong and then you have incurable midrange tuning issues.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN
Last edit: 25 Jun 2013 08:01 by testarossa. Reason: Spelling

• nitrokrumpt
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Jun 2013 12:36 - 27 Jun 2013 12:37 #594109 by nitrokrumpt
wow this is awesome. nothing inscribed on all four the jets, and i cant find these things anywhere online. not even jets r us.com.......Also any advice for the 2nd part of my question anyone? what oil you use and grease type for the advancer

1982 kz750-n1 spectre
Last edit: 27 Jun 2013 12:37 by nitrokrumpt.

More
27 Jun 2013 13:36 #594116 by Flyboy
Replied by Flyboy on topic found problem but
Agreed, the clearance between the needle and the emulsion tube is such, that with it bent like that, there is no way that it should be operating, the needle should be binding inside the tube, they must be really badly worn, in which case I suspect all four are in a similar state of wear.
Your only option is to replace all four, or as testarossa said, you will never get the mid range dialled in right, and the frustration will take years off your life.
Have you tried Z1? Really helpful bunch of guys there and knowledgeable too.
Looks like someone tried to hammer it out, good thing they never landed up cracking the carb body.
Rotella oil is good for bikes and does not affect the operation of the clutch.
My bike is a shaft, so I have a tube of Honda Moly Lube that I use on the rear wheel splines, and i find it really good for things like the timing advancer, as it is not too thick and does not thicken with time or cold temperatures. About $10 a tube at your local Honda dealer.

There is something otherworldy about experiencing the sound of an air cooled inline four redlined while heeled over at 35 degrees from horizontal, with the slipping rear tire violently trying to shake you from your perch atop the slewing beast..

More
27 Jun 2013 14:16 - 27 Jun 2013 14:19 #594120 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic found problem but
On the advancer you can use white lithium grease, but like Flyboy I use moly. I use Dow Corning Molykote GN paste (see pic). Keep in mind that the grease goes on the shaft that the cam rides on.

Attachment Molykote.JPG not found

On the outer surface of the advancer cam (the surface that the points rubbing blocks ride against) and on the felt wick you should use grease specifically made for ignition cams - here are 2. Ed
www.partstrain.com/store/?PN=4792&N=0

Attachment MalloryCamGrease.jpg not found

www.lufteknic.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc...gory_Code=lubricants

Attachment BoschDistributorGrease.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Jun 2013 14:19 by 650ed.

More
29 Jun 2013 00:57 #594303 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic found problem but
Until the highfalutin stuff arrives, may apply a drop of oil on the felt pad, if the pad's still there.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

• nitrokrumpt
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Jun 2013 14:33 #594348 by nitrokrumpt
yea mine doesnt look anything like that patton ;) which on the spectre, there arent even timing slides to turn it clock wise or counter clock.

1982 kz750-n1 spectre

More
29 Jun 2013 23:21 #594386 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic found problem but
Oops, sorry about getting side-tracked about lubing a points cam. :(

A mechanical advancer may be lubed with a drop of motor oil on the weight-arm pivots.

The pivots may likely be accessed through the timing inspection window.

Good Fortune!

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments: