Airbox Reinstallation

More
19 Jun 2013 01:17 #593004 by nivlac
Airbox Reinstallation was created by nivlac
I have had my butt kicked by about every old timer on the forum about pods vs airbox. I have opted to reinstall my airbox. I had to order new rubber components and while waiting for the parts and the money have rebuilt a better set of carburators. I only want to do this one time at least until I have to rework something else. Having said all that, all the stars were in alignment today and got everything together while racing aginst the clock for an appointment. It was quite a job getting the carbs into the holders (of which I broke one and luckily had another) and between the new airbox boots (they certainly were more pliable than the old ones glad I got them before trying to install the old ones). Got er done and ready to put the seat back on when I realized I forgot to install my throttle cable, which I quickly tried to hook up while pursuing a quality line of expletives and realized I was going to be late for my appointment.
I say all that to ask if I should count on removal of the whole deal to attach the throttle cable?

1983 kz1100
1979 cb650

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
19 Jun 2013 09:11 #593027 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Airbox Reinstallation
I think you may end up taking the rack lose again, as it will be way easier to attach the cable. But if you get some long reach needle nose, maybe 45 or 90 degree bend. you might be able to get it in there. But it may still be hard to do. Does yours have the nuts on the cable end to hold the sleeve, and adjust etc? If so I don't know if you'll get to those. If you broke one carb holder, they are probably shot, will leak etc. Order a new set would be best.
Anytime you put the rack in, lube the carb holders with a silicone spray, or another lube. You can even use a bit of engine oil, wipe it around with your finger.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
19 Jun 2013 09:34 #593030 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic Airbox Reinstallation
I don't remember ever having to remove the carbs to replace throttle cables but it was been a real long time ago, it would be easier with them out but I'm sure it can be done with them installed, on a KZ1000 at least.

Someone recommended using a hair drier to warm up the boots to help with the carb installation, I'm sorry but I forgot who it was :blush:

JD

78 KZ1000 A2A

More
19 Jun 2013 09:37 - 19 Jun 2013 09:38 #593031 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Airbox Reinstallation
I have replaced my throttle cables a couple times and never needed to remove the carbs to do it. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 19 Jun 2013 09:38 by 650ed.

More
19 Jun 2013 14:09 #593071 by boatdrinks
Replied by boatdrinks on topic Airbox Reinstallation
+1 Ed, at least on the 650 it is not a problem.

Charles
Madison, AL
1978 KZ650 B2A, Luminous Dark Blue

More
19 Jun 2013 17:25 #593103 by 650 in Vegas
Replied by 650 in Vegas on topic Airbox Reinstallation
I second (or third) Ed's comment on not needing to pull the carbs to swap throttle cables on the 650's.
Not to hijack your thread, but while I have so many 650 guys paying attention, any advice on which direction to tilt the cabs when removing/ re-installing them? I just re-installed mine last week and it was a pain even with new rubber boots. It had been a few years since I last had to do it and I swear that I remembered it being easier than it was. I Do you tilt them up or down and have you noticed it being easier to come in from one side or the other?

79 KZ650 C - The best $200 I have ever spent!

More
19 Jun 2013 19:13 #593121 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Airbox Reinstallation
I've only ever removed mine twice, but I seem to recall tilting the back of the carbs down, and I definitely recall they came out on the right side (as you sit on the bike) of the bike. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
19 Jun 2013 21:07 #593139 by 74ullc
Replied by 74ullc on topic Airbox Reinstallation
I thought on the 650 the boots would pull back into the airbox? On my KZ1000 they are bolted in with that flange and for sure are a pain.

I just went back to the airbox on my 1977 KZ1000 LTD and I re-installed the throttle cables after the carbs were back in place. Thats how the manual says to do it. After fighting with the boots/carbs it seemed easy to get the cables hooked back up. I did remove the nuts completely and let them hang, they wont fall off because of the knurl on the end of the cable. Then get the cables back in place and then get the nuts started and tightened down. I think you need two 10mm wrenches and a lot of patience.

Good move on going back to the airbox! My bike runs MUCH better now than it ever did on pods. Its like a new bike!

I used a set of old boots and was able to get it back together without ripping them. I let them soak in slime rubber conditioner for a few weeks beforehand and it really softened them up. I did install new carb holders from Z1.

How soft are the new airbox boots from Z1? Are they able to push down out of the way no problem? Those things really have to take some abuse during carb install/removal.

Gulf Coast, Texas
1977 KZ1000LTD
1984 VF700F

More
20 Jun 2013 11:17 #593210 by nivlac
Replied by nivlac on topic Airbox Reinstallation
I did have to remove the rack and tilt down the airbox side and the boots popped off but they are so soft and pliable they went right back in place with very little work. Started the bike and heard non of the popping which I had with the pods. I have heard it is backfire through the carbs. It runs much smoother. I ordered a Motion Pro sync device to bring it hopefully to as perfect tune as I am personally able to do. Hated to spend the $$ but I'm working on a set of carbs on an old 4 cylinder Honda for my son, and hoping I'll need them so I won't feel too bad about spending the cash. Anyway if I can get some guy time in with the kid before he take off on his own it'll be worth it.
Appreciate the feed back from all of you. Gotta get in the wind.

1983 kz1100
1979 cb650

More
20 Jun 2013 22:53 #593298 by ezrider714
Replied by ezrider714 on topic Airbox Reinstallation
Agree with Ed's comment on the 650 cables, I have changed mine many times since 1979 and have never removed the carbs to replace the cables.
I also remember tilting the back down when I did remove them to rebuild several times,
although I would have tried from the left side 1st, but it's been a long time....so I don't really know....but there's only 2 sides left or right :)

78 KZ650SR Mine since 79
4-1 Mac Jet Hot coated since mid 80's
Dyna Coils
Saddlebags (I ain't skeered of going nowhere) :)