my 81 440ltd sputtered and shut down today

More
11 Jun 2013 12:29 - 12 Jun 2013 01:46 #591753 by LP440
I got on my 81 440LTD and started my commute to work today like I always do. Got about 3 miles into the ride and going up a hill the bike started bogging down and sputtering. I managed to get up the hill and pull over into a lot then it stalled. I could not restart it. I had new plugs in my bag so I installed them. The bike cranked ok but would not turn over. I tried until the battery got really weak. It seemed as though it wanted to fire a couple of times but never did restart. I got the bike picked up and to a mechanic. The only thing I can thnk of is that it sat in a downpour last night with only half a tank of gas. Maybe I got some moisture in the fuel? Maybe worse? Just curious what some of the thoughts are and if anyone else has had this problem.
Last edit: 12 Jun 2013 01:46 by LP440.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jun 2013 20:09 #592158 by LP440
Replied by LP440 on topic my 81 440ltd sputtered and shut down today
so I guess this is not something that happens too often. Oh well, I'll just have to wait and see what the mechanic finds. I guess I made the right choice calling one right away.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
13 Jun 2013 21:13 #592163 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic my 81 440ltd sputtered and shut down today
You are probably correct on the water in fuel. The Key Hole in the gas cap will let water in if it rains hard enough. Since the bike is in the shop, you can't drain the tank and carb bowls, refill with fresh gas etc. I guess you'll have to wait to see what the shop thinks is the problem. :( :(

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
14 Jun 2013 08:42 #592245 by LP440
I like to think that water in fuel is all it is. But the way the thing shut down just doesn't jive. I rode it 12 miles after it was rained on, then let it sit overnight, started it up the next morn, rode another 3 miles, then it shut down. I did pull the plugs when she stopped and they were caked up with white powdery residue. I always carry a fresh set. I put the new plugs in but it still wouldn't start. Also, I opened the air filter area and smelled for maybe flooding? But it did not smell too bad. The carbs were just taken apart, cleaned and serviced last summer by the same guy who is now looking at it and it was really running great since then. Maybe I got an Electrical problem? Don't think it was the stator cause the battery still had a lot left in it when I was trying to restart it.

More
14 Jun 2013 13:16 #592279 by LP440
OKay, another comment to myself. I was looking up all the horror news about having white ash deposits on the plugs(like mine had) and how it meant oil was getting into the combustion chamber. Wel, I just talked to the mechanic and he is telling me that the bike seems fine. He drained the gas and checked out the fuel, ignition and spark systems. put new gas in and fired it up. Rode it 2 or 3 times now with no issues. He is sure there are no major motor problems. Man, that really puzzles me now.