Know a thing or two about slide carbs!?!?

More
07 Jun 2013 16:22 - 07 Jun 2013 16:45 #591228 by treitz
I am new to slide carbs, and I know they are a lot different than CV carbs. There is just ONE thing about this VM34 round slide carb that I don't understand.

If I am sitting still with the engine off, the throttle twists pretty easily (feels normal) and springs back quickly.

BUT, when I am driving, the throttle is pretty hard to twist. Like awkwardly hard to twist especially right off of idle. The cable isn't kinking or anything. I have check that. Plus if it was, it would be hard to pull all of the time, not just when running.

I am assuming this is because of the airflow through the carb pushing the slide into the slide wall.... or something like that. Just not sure if it's "normal" for slide carbs, or if I should be concerned.

1979 KZ400 - 2-1 Manifold - Mikuni VM34
Last edit: 07 Jun 2013 16:45 by treitz.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jun 2013 18:41 #591245 by peter1958

More
07 Jun 2013 19:26 #591256 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic Know a thing or two about slide carbs!?!?

treitz wrote: I am new to slide carbs, and I know they are a lot different than CV carbs. There is just ONE thing about this VM34 round slide carb that I don't understand.

If I am sitting still with the engine off, the throttle twists pretty easily (feels normal) and springs back quickly.

BUT, when I am driving, the throttle is pretty hard to twist. Like awkwardly hard to twist especially right off of idle. The cable isn't kinking or anything. I have check that. Plus if it was, it would be hard to pull all of the time, not just when running.

I am assuming this is because of the airflow through the carb pushing the slide into the slide wall.... or something like that. Just not sure if it's "normal" for slide carbs, or if I should be concerned.

Put some carb gauges on them and see how much vacuum you're pulling.

Larry C.

More
07 Jun 2013 19:32 #591257 by treitz
Replied by treitz on topic Know a thing or two about slide carbs!?!?
Carb gauge? How much vacuum should I be pulling?

It's a 2-1 intake on a KZ400 with a VM34.

More
07 Jun 2013 23:15 - 07 Jun 2013 23:21 #591286 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Know a thing or two about slide carbs!?!?
Put one drop of motor oil on the slide and see if that makes a difference. If it does, then yes the vacuum is pulling the slide toward the engine, which is normal, but it shouldn't be that hard to pull.

If the throttle cable is not lubed, the extra resistance from the slide, while running, can cause the cable to bind up in the cable housing. Lubing a cable can make a world of difference.

Then there is always the possibility that something is not right in the carb.

When the cable resistance is normal, the slight resistance you feel on the throttle, while riding, is one way to determine how fast you open the throttle. Too little usually means you've opened too fast, and you'll notice the bike will not accelerate as hard as when you open it at the right speed.
Last edit: 07 Jun 2013 23:21 by loudhvx.

More
09 Jun 2013 14:38 #591463 by treitz
Replied by treitz on topic Know a thing or two about slide carbs!?!?
So it turns out the throttle assembly I got with the carb was some kind of quick fire dirt bike throttle. It had a 90 degree bend going into it making it a 1/4 turn instead of 1/2 (I think). Anyway, I put my stock throttle assembly back on and it is much smoother now.