1977 KZ1000LTD need help getting back on AIRBOX

More
06 Jun 2013 03:05 - 06 Jun 2013 05:01 #591026 by 74ullc
I've been away from the site for too long! Been crazy busy with work for the last 6 months and haven't had time to do anything fun. Lately the itching to go for a bike ride is getting to be too much, gotta get back out there! So I've started working on the KZ again and decided its time to get the airbox back on it.

When I bought my 1977 KZ100LTD it had pods installed by the PO. I guess he threw most all the parts away when he switched over to pods because all he had was the empty airbox itself. No tubes, lid, filter, hoses, wire baskets that go inside the box, flange to hold on the tubes...all that stuff was missing.

I have managed to round up just about everything I need. I got a used airbox assembly with the guts and tubes all there, even has the crankcase vent tube!

I also ordered stock jets for the carbs (VM26SS), new air filter, and new carb holders from Z1E. My originals have leaks like everyone elses. The airbox tubes I have seem very soft so I am going to try to use them, if they crack during install then I'll order a new set of those too.

Tonight I pulled off the carbs and was doing a dry run installing the airbox just to make sure its all going to work. Well....seeing that there is nothing to support the airbox I pulled up BB and after searching finally end up on the battery box page and see I am missing the "stay, air cleaner" #15.

www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/19...b/o/m150658#sch35425

Along with the airbox stay I think I am missing parts #18 and #20 and I know I am missing the tool tray, #21.

I do not have the silencer #15 from this page.....

www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/19...b/o/m150658#sch37559

I knew I was missing the silencer but was hoping its ok to run the airbox without it. Is that ok?

Also does the "stay, air cleaner" support the box? I know the box cant just hang on the tubes from the carbs!

I'll post some pics tomorrow of what I have to work with....just wanted to get a post up and running to see if anyone can help me out with what all I am going to need to get the airbox back on the bike. I would also like to get all the battery box parts rounded up if possible.

I'll call BB tomorrow and try to find out if they by chance actually have the airbox stay and battery box parts in stock. If not looks like I'll be fabbing at least the airbox stay. Looks to be just a simple piece anyways. If anyone can get me some measurments on the airbox stay that would be a big help.

I'm looking forward to finally doing some wrenching on the old girl again!

Gulf Coast, Texas
1977 KZ1000LTD
1984 VF700F
Last edit: 06 Jun 2013 05:01 by 74ullc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jun 2013 08:10 - 06 Jun 2013 08:13 #591038 by 650ed
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationThe stay is available in new old stock (NOS) on eBay. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 06 Jun 2013 08:13 by 650ed.

More
06 Jun 2013 23:58 - 20 Jun 2013 02:22 #591169 by 74ullc
$37 and waiting for it to be shipped?....nah....30 minutes and a little shot of paint....

;)

Of course BB didn't really have one, neither did the local Kaw dealer.

Still have to round up the other parts for the battery box I'm missing but I don't need those right away. I got the carbs all apart now....thinking really hard about soda blasting them. I've done it with other carbs and they come out like bran new. But its such a pain to empty the glass out of the blast cabinet and make sure that every little spec of glass is out of it. Sure don't want a glass bead getting lodged in a passageway.

Gulf Coast, Texas
1977 KZ1000LTD
1984 VF700F
Last edit: 20 Jun 2013 02:22 by 74ullc.

More
14 Jun 2013 17:24 - 20 Jun 2013 02:21 #592310 by 74ullc
Went ahead and soda blasted the carbs. Just used the little table top HF cabinet instead of emptying the full size econoline. Using the little cabinet reminds me just how much better the real cabinet is!

They turned out looking good. I really like using the soda because it is very gentle. It just cleans surfaces, it will not eat into the metal. It even left the factory yellow paint on the choke bracket screws intact. I didn't polish the bowls or top covers, just left them as they came out of the cabinet. Trying to get a factory look to them.

The bike is all back together and now has fresh tags and inspection. I'll get some pics of the carbs on the bike up soon. Original airbox in place made it interesting to get the carbs back on.

Running good except has a little bog just off idle (leaving stoplight). I went with one size up on mains and pilot based on advice from Z1E. I'm at sea level and would rather be a touch on the rich side than lean. If I understand correctly a bog just off idle would be a rich condition, but I had to go two full turns out on the fuel screws to get it highest idle. Book says 1 turn +-1/4, so being 2 full turns I would think the pilots are too small? The extra 3/4 turn out on the fuel screw indicating a compensation for the lean pilots? But a bog off idle is usually a rich condition? So I have to get that figured out.

I have just done a mech sync on the carbs so that could be the problem too. I need to get a set of gauges to do a vacuum synch.

Gulf Coast, Texas
1977 KZ1000LTD
1984 VF700F
Last edit: 20 Jun 2013 02:21 by 74ullc.

More
20 Jun 2013 01:57 - 20 Jun 2013 02:20 #593167 by 74ullc
One more KZ back to stock airbox setup....

It's like a new bike, runs great! Sounds better, looks better, runs better....just better. I'm still missing the silencer but I'll be looking out for one.

I still have work to do but its getting closer to all stock.

Gulf Coast, Texas
1977 KZ1000LTD
1984 VF700F
Last edit: 20 Jun 2013 02:20 by 74ullc.

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
More
20 Jun 2013 11:36 #593213 by TomW

74ullc wrote: $37 and waiting for it to be shipped?....nah....30 minutes and a little shot of paint....

;)

Of course BB didn't really have one, neither did the local Kaw dealer.

A lot of good work can be done with a hacksaw and a file. :) My hat is off to you, sir. When I take the fairing and bags off my '78 LTD they'll look like twins.

'78 KZ1000B2 LTD stock + Vetter Fairing & luggage
'91 ZG1200B5 Voyager XII, stock

More
20 Jun 2013 11:42 #593214 by upncummr
The bike looks great. The soda blasting left the carbs looking very nice.

Gary

More
21 Jun 2013 18:46 #593423 by 74ullc
Yup, used some tin snips, drill, and a file. The part doesn't look so crude in person, that pic is larger than actual size. Plus its hidden under the airbox so its out of sight anyways. If I can find an OEM one for a reasonable price I'll swap it out.

For anyone putting their carbs on, I recommend leaving that plate off during install. It lets you push the airbox back and down further. Then after the carbs are in place lift the airbox and slide the plate into place under it and bolt it down.

The carbs did come out nice....they look kinda blue in the pics. I don't know why that is. They look like freshly cast bright aluminum in person. I don't think the soda is coloring them???

I've already had a few people ask me where I found new set of carbs from. ;)

Gulf Coast, Texas
1977 KZ1000LTD
1984 VF700F

More
22 Jun 2013 03:46 #593478 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic 1977 KZ1000LTD need help getting back on AIRBOX

74ullc wrote: Went ahead and soda blasted the carbs. Just used the little table top HF cabinet instead of emptying the full size econoline. Using the little cabinet reminds me just how much better the real cabinet is!

They turned out looking good. I really like using the soda because it is very gentle. It just cleans surfaces, it will not eat into the metal. It even left the factory yellow paint on the choke bracket screws intact. I didn't polish the bowls or top covers, just left them as they came out of the cabinet. Trying to get a factory look to them.

The bike is all back together and now has fresh tags and inspection. I'll get some pics of the carbs on the bike up soon. Original airbox in place made it interesting to get the carbs back on.

Running good except has a little bog just off idle (leaving stoplight). I went with one size up on mains and pilot based on advice from Z1E. I'm at sea level and would rather be a touch on the rich side than lean. If I understand correctly a bog just off idle would be a rich condition, but I had to go two full turns out on the fuel screws to get it highest idle. Book says 1 turn +-1/4, so being 2 full turns I would think the pilots are too small? The extra 3/4 turn out on the fuel screw indicating a compensation for the lean pilots? But a bog off idle is usually a rich condition? So I have to get that figured out.

I have just done a mech sync on the carbs so that could be the problem too. I need to get a set of gauges to do a vacuum synch.

Nice job! now I want to do that to mine damn it! The list is supposed get shorter.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project