KZ550B 81wont start, revs like hell, then dies

More
30 May 2013 15:46 #589950 by accubond
Hi,

i am new to the board and from Germany.

Just bought a KZ550B. I cleand the carbs, put all back together but the bike will not start.
When i pulled the carbs, i noticed a missing choke flap.
As read here on the forums i epoxyed it shut. But it is not cured yet. Will try tomorrow.
The other 3 choke flaps are all in place. Should i replace them all with the epoxy conversion?

Now, the problem is that the bike only starts with full choke and full throttle. When it fires up i release the throttle but it revs up like hell.
When i try to back the choke a little bit out the engine dies.

I checked all jets twice, blew them all with compressed air. I set the fuel level to 18mm and presynced the carbs.

I dont know what to do.

Could this be an ignition problem?

By the way, how do i properly set up igniton timing? Is there a link somewhere?

Thanks so much!

Regards David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 May 2013 16:59 #589961 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic KZ550B 81wont start, revs like hell, then dies

accubond wrote: Hi,

Now, the problem is that the bike only starts with full choke and full throttle. When it fires up i release the throttle but it revs up like hell.

From what I was taught, that is the symptom of a vacuum leak.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
30 May 2013 18:29 #589971 by accubond
Replied by accubond on topic KZ550B 81wont start, revs like hell, then dies
I tried with the Airbox off...that should in my opinion not be the problem not starting.

How do i have to set ignition plate? Tomorrow i will get new spark plugs first!

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
30 May 2013 21:27 #589996 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic KZ550B 81wont start, revs like hell, then dies
The ignition plate is pre-set electronic ignition. If timing is an issue it would be with a mechanical advancer being stuck/ sticky. That is a common problem, and easy to clean and lubricate. Keep in mind the advancer can be assembled 180 degrees out, so then your spark will be on the wrong set of cylinders.
New spark plugs won't hurt anything, but won't fix the issue of it running at a high RPM. Like Boutyhunter said, Vacuum leak. Throttle cables miss-installed/ adjusted. Carb slides not returning do to improper set up for the throttle rod and slide height. So the Idle speed screw becomes in-effective. Throttles stay open even if speed screw is removed. this gets set this way sometimes when carbs are disassembled/ separated.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...