Airbox Connection Help

• Mid life crisis
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 May 2013 00:39 #589526 by Mid life crisis
Airbox Connection Help was created by Mid life crisis
Hi there.

I have two 1981 KZ750 (4 cyl). Neither had the airbox installed, and one has pods. I am trying to get one of them back to stock, but I am having a heck of a time trying to figure out all the vacuum lines.

On one, all 4 nipples on the carbs were connected together and then connected to the fuel petcock. On the other, two nipples are capped off and the one goes to the petcock and then the other goes God knows where!

Does anyone have a picture of the airbox with the stock connections? I do not have the ports on the valve cover.

Thanks for any help with this.

Peter

1981 KZ750E2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 May 2013 06:57 #589547 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Airbox Connection Help
If no ports on the valve cover then connect one carb nipple (usually carb #2) to the vacuum nipple on the petcock and put caps on the other 3. Block off - I used a bolt - the hole in the airbox at top centre front.

If ports on the valve cover then you can run a tube from one side to the other and do as above.

Sounds like you have a non US valve cover with no ports. We never got that anti smog stuff up here.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mid life crisis

More
28 May 2013 09:52 #589564 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Airbox Connection Help
Kawasaki.com & Partzilla have diagrams.

Does the bike have the Kawasaki clean air system? If so, typically, #1 & #4 are connected to tubing from the clean air stuff, #3 is capped, & #2 has the petcock vacuum line. Without the clean air tubing, you'd cap the unused vac ports. If no vac petcock, cap that port as well.

Note: according to the diagrams for the 81 750E, the carburetor overflow tubing should be routed to the airbox - there are a couple of grommets & Y fittings for making the connections.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mid life crisis

• Mid life crisis
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 May 2013 11:06 #589575 by Mid life crisis
Replied by Mid life crisis on topic Airbox Connection Help
Thanks for the info. I think I can put it together based on the info you have given.

I do not have the ports on the valve cover.

What used to go through that hole at the top centre that has been suggested I block with a bolt? Did one of the vacuum lines go there?

Thanks again for the help.

1981 KZ750E2

More
28 May 2013 14:11 - 28 May 2013 14:15 #589592 by martin_csr
The hole at the top/front of the airbox is for a fat clean air system tube. There should be a large nipple for accepting the tube. If you don't have the clean air stuff, then you'll need to plug that hole.

The hole at the bottom/front of the airbox is for the crankcase breather tubing - there should be a grommet there. I would connect it to burn the engine fumes. The grommet should be available at the dealer or the auto parts store might have something.
Last edit: 28 May 2013 14:15 by martin_csr.

• Mid life crisis
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 May 2013 23:11 #589652 by Mid life crisis
I have all the pieces with the airbox. It just doesn't have that clean air system. I think I should be able to set it up now.

Thanks again.

1981 KZ750E2

• Mid life crisis
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 May 2013 23:41 #589858 by Mid life crisis
Well, I have the airbox back on the bike and the carbs installed (there must be an easier way to get those carbs back in. What a pain!)

What is the reason behind connecting the carb overflow tubes to the airbox? Is that simply to prevent
fuel from dripping onto the engine?

Also, at the very bottom of the airbox there are two holes. One is for a tube to go straight down (I am assuming to drain any fuel that may get into the airbox from those carb drain tubes) and then another one (the one my finger is pointing to). Is that just left open to drain any water that gets into the airbox from the top when the seat is open or something?

Thanks again for all the help.

1981 KZ750E2

More
30 May 2013 10:44 - 30 May 2013 11:12 #589913 by martin_csr
I think the big hole is to drain water to help keep the air filter dry. The other one is for whatever collects inside the airbox - water, fuel, or oil n stuff from the crankcase breather.

As to why the overflow tubing is routed to the airbox, it's probably so that some of the fuel can get burned by the engine as it evaporates? Some models, such as my 81 650, have the overflow tubing routed behind the engine & forward of the swing arm, towards the ground.
Last edit: 30 May 2013 11:12 by martin_csr.

• Mid life crisis
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 May 2013 19:11 #589977 by Mid life crisis
Ok. I figured that bigger whole was a drain and not an input of some sort.

All the bikes I have ever had just run the overflows to the ground, but your explanation sounds good to me! I guess guess who run pods must direct them to the ground. I will connect them to the airbox to stay stock as possible.

Thanks for the reply.

1981 KZ750E2

More
30 May 2013 22:11 #590011 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Airbox Connection Help

Mid life crisis wrote:
All the bikes I have ever had just run the overflows to the ground, but your explanation sounds good to me! I guess guess who run pods must direct them to the ground. I will connect them to the airbox to stay stock as possible.

I run the overflows to the ground between engine and swing arm. I just went out and checked and see that I plugged those holes in the air box where the overflows used to go.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust