1982 KZ550 LTD, No fuel getting to cylinders

More
26 May 2013 22:12 #589343 by wadechris
Hey guys,

I've got a 1982 KZ550 LTD. It has K&N air pods on it, no vacuum assembly from what I can tell, the carbs were rebuilt awhile ago not properly adjusted and have been sitting for awhile. I did get it started at one point but the electronic ignition blew and it sat for a couple years before I tried to resurrect it again. I just installed a dyna S ignition system, new dyna 3ohm coils, new wires and plugs. Electrically everything seems to be correctly working. I did get the bike to start with starter fluid in each of the 4 carbs and it sounded good/tight (idle was set far too high) but it quickly died. Fuel is getting from the tank into the carb but not from the carb into the cylinders. Any ideas on how I can get this thing running again? Im pretty sure all the jets are wrong, are there any factory settings that will at least allow the bike to run?

Thanks,
Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 May 2013 02:08 #589365 by Spectre1982
Replied by Spectre1982 on topic 1982 KZ550 LTD, No fuel getting to cylinders
After cranking the bike, are the plugs wet with gas or are they still dry?

If it sat for years with gas in the carbs, it's time to pull them and do a thorough cleaning.

When you take it apart to clean it, look for numbers stamped on the jets. There should be something on there to indicate the size. You can compare that to the factory service manual and see where you're at.

1982 Kawasaki KZ750 Spectre

1978 Kawasaki KZ200

1985 Yamaha XV1000 Virago

(Avatar picture is from Alleycatscustoms.com)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.