New rider need some help please. Hot pipes. Idle.

• DBICK666
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1983 kz750 ltd f-1 (shaft)
More
26 May 2013 16:07 #589286 by DBICK666
Hi just got a 1983 kz750 f1 shaft it's my first bike but needs a little work. Well pretty good altogether but 4 of my 4 header pipes get really hot olny the 2nd on from the right is running normal. Also the bike wants to stall out some times when it idles under 2000rpm when I give it has little clicking in motor at 1500 idle. Is this a big problem you think? Any ideas would help thanks. Also how do I check and drain the gear oil And refill thanks
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2013 18:53 #589309 by KraZyRIDER
Replied by KraZyRIDER on topic New rider need some help please. Hot pipes. Idle.

DBICK666 wrote: Hi just got a 1983 kz750 f1 shaft it's my first bike but needs a little work. Well pretty good altogether but 4 of my 4 header pipes get really hot olny the 2nd on from the right is running normal. Also the bike wants to stall out some times when it idles under 2000rpm when I give it has little clicking in motor at 1500 idle. Is this a big problem you think? Any ideas would help thanks. Also how do I check and drain the gear oil And refill thanks

...easy things first. The lean condition sounds like simple vacuum leaks. Make sure the clamps that hold the carbs on are secure are tight. Check the rubber carb manifolds for cracks. Sometimes the cracks are so small they can't be seen unless you start prying on them. Before you do that, spray the boots with a shot of carb cleaner. If the idle shoot up, you've found your problem. Replace the manifolds. This will more than likely be your problem, unless this bike sat for a while and needs a good carb cleaning. That never hurts!

...now go out and buy a shop manual. The noise you hear may be telling you it's time for a valve adjustment. You'll definitely need the manual for that. As far as servicing the gear oil, the manual will tell you that too. You can scout the Internet for all that info, but I prefer a good shop manual to the Internet anytime.

Mean Green Speed Machine!
1979 KZ 650-C3 (Cafe Project)
1982 GPz 750-R1
1981 GPz 1100-B1
2005 H-D XL1200C
2006 H-D XL1200C
The following user(s) said Thank You: DBICK666

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.