KZ 1100 backfires and sputters

More
16 May 2013 17:32 #587789 by Matteson
Replied by Matteson on topic KZ 1100 backfires and sputters
Dude you should listen to Ed! Don't be puttin stuff where it isn't needed. If you get a build up of gunk in any of those holes they won't seal properly later on in the future.

KZ 900-a4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 May 2013 22:32 #588439 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic KZ 1100 backfires and sputters

650ed wrote:

KZB2 650 wrote:
They recommend using blue lock tight on these in the manual. Plugs, valve cover bolts, side cover allens etc love anti sieze but not on these.

What - are you kidding??? The Kawasaki Service Manuals I have are VERY SPECIFIC about which fasteners get a locking agent (loctite) and those manuals DO NOT recommend using locktight of any type on any of the fasteners you listed - DON'T DO IT! That is really bad advice!

What manual do you have that recommends using locktight on any of those fasteners??? Please show me the text.
Ed

Big mis under standing.... when I said plugs, valve cover bolts, side cover allens etc love anti sieze I ment them but not the carb holders..... By the recommending of using blue lock tight I ment for the carb holder screws only never the other items... on page 37 of my 1978 kz650 Kawasaki Motorcycle service manual it has a dot in the column calling for the use of a locking agent on the 8 carb holder screws.

Also I've read a number of times over the years to do this in bike magazines and Yoshie's crew way back in 1983 sent me back a letter giving me a ton of info on 29mm smoothbores on what jetting, what kaw 900 manifolds to use , telling me that I will need to slot the holes etc and to lock tight the screws holding on the carb holders (OR) safety wire them. The reason I remember that so well is because of the safety wiring and me really thinking about it then just getting lazy and using the lock tight.

That's why over the years 4 to 5 times since 1983 I've lock tighted my carb holder screws.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.