One cylinder flooding.

• get_awesome
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 KZ440 LTD
More
06 May 2013 00:23 #585897 by get_awesome
One cylinder flooding. was created by get_awesome
SO... I got the carb all put back together, got it on, all hooked up. Now there's some kind of issue, and I'm not quite sure what I need to do. Here's basically what it's doing. When I turn the fuel (at the petcock) to the full on position, and hit the starter, the starter turns over good and strong, but no fire. The plugs are sparking near as I can tell, might be a little weak but there is a visible spark when I test them against the block. The boot where the carb meets the head has fuel leaking around it on the right cylinder only. When I then turn the petcock down to about 1/4 open, it will idle around 800-900 rpm's. If you give it any gas at all it will bog down, if you give it more it will stall, if you let off right away it will just glug a bit and eventually go back to its low idle state. If you turn the gas almost all the way off, like just barely open, it idles higher, and slowly climbs up over 5000 rpm's. When it is idling low, there is gas dripping out the right tailpipe, but puffs of white exhaust smoke. (straight pipes, no mufflers). When it gets running really high, there is no gas dripping. During all of this, there is no gas dripping on the left side. It seems like I am clearly getting too much fuel on the right side, or it is not burning it all proficiently. Either way, I am not sure where to start with it. I'm going to replace the spark plugs just to rule that out, but does something jump out at you as being the cause of this? My first thought is that the float is too high in the right cylinder, but it got gas and didn't flood before so I didn't adjust either of them. My only other idea is that the needle is stuck open or something, and thus just keeps pouring fuel? But then it seems to me that it would still allow me to give it gas and rev it up high. Aany input here appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 May 2013 06:17 #585925 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic One cylinder flooding.
Some carb designs allow the float to be installed upside down. Would assure this didn't happen during re-assembly of the carb at issue.

Would sniff-test crankcase oil and examine its condition to determine whether gasoline has intruded into the crankcase.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.