KZ550 LTD carb intsallation help

More
28 Apr 2013 18:40 #584502 by dan123
KZ550 LTD carb intsallation help was created by dan123
and i thought taking them out was hard! i have new air box boots in but i still can not manage to get the carbs into place. i stopped trying because i had a feeling like i was going to loose my patience and break something. i most likely dont have the right technique and some advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks

1982 kz550C LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Apr 2013 18:45 #584503 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic KZ550 LTD carb intsallation help
Did you loosen the airbox brackets so you can shove the airbox back a little? Also, some guys install the carbs first and then install the boots, and when doing that some install the boots through the airbox after the carbs are installed. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
28 Apr 2013 20:59 #584524 by dan123
Replied by dan123 on topic KZ550 LTD carb intsallation help
Yes the bolts that hold the airbox are out, and I had enough trouble fitting the boots in with out the carbs in place I can't imagine putting them in with the carbs in the way.

1982 kz550C LTD

More
28 Apr 2013 23:03 #584547 by jonarmstrong
Replied by jonarmstrong on topic KZ550 LTD carb intsallation help
I use a light skim of vasoline on mine. It will disolve and go away where grease won't.

82 Kz1000 gpz1100 cams dyna ignition kerker k&n

More
29 Apr 2013 09:26 - 29 Apr 2013 09:30 #584610 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic KZ550 LTD carb intsallation help
From the diagrams it looks like there isn't much room for your hands inside the airbox. If so, it might be difficult, if not impossible, to install the ducts by going thru there. There's plenty of room in the 650 airbox.

If you haven't tried installing the carbs first, try it. Perhaps it would be easier to do that then install one duct at a time, instead of try to cram the carbs into 4 ducts at once. As jonarmstrong alluded to, use a lubricant of some sort, such as silicone spray.
Last edit: 29 Apr 2013 09:30 by martin_csr.

More
29 Apr 2013 18:26 #584714 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic KZ550 LTD carb intsallation help
Make sure the clamps on the intake manifolds are super loose. They need to be much looser than seems reasonable because the inside of the manifolds have O-rings cast into them.

Make sure the airbox is all the way back.
Sit on the bike using the center stand.
Put your feet on the alternator cover and ignition cover.
Slide the carbs in from one side or the other and get the airbox boots over the carbs' airhorns.
You can do it with the nose of the carbs tipped down below the intake manifolds, or tipped up above the intake manifolds.
Then pull the carbs back hard into the airbox boots, and you can just get the nose of the carbs into the manifolds.

If it's warm out, it should be relatively easy.

Once you get the knack, it will be old hat, ... but still no fun. :)