My CV Carb jetting/Don't oil emgo pods ( i think)

• recez
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 74 kz400 D
More
23 Apr 2013 18:22 #583745 by recez
I was doing some fine tuning on my kz400.. ignition timing, valve adjustment, and carb sync and oiled my emgo pods. Yes I'm running pods on a CV carb more on that later.. Anyway, I had everything pretty knats when I took it for a test run. It ran like complete garbage. I checked everything I did even stripped down the carbs to see it I had any clogs, double checked valve clearances and timing. I was trying to figure out where I had gone wrong.. Then I realized that I had oiled my Emgo pods with K & N spray oil... So I took the pods completely off and the bike it ran like a champ.. It actually scared me at how quick it accelerated.. So I assume the spray oil.. just completely clogged the filter and wasn't letting enough air in. I have them sitting outside right now hoping that they might dry out, but I think I'm going to just buy new ones on friday. Has anyone ever experience something similar? Seriously, my bike runs great without the filters on...
So as it is on my CV carbs my jetting for a 74 kz400 is everything stock except for the main which I went up to a 140(stock is 135), I had actually tried a 150 main but it was running way to rich. At this point, I can take off my carbs have the disassembled and put back on within 45mins (the pods make them easier to remove thats for sure). I just hear a lot of questions about pods.. so I want to share what seems to have worked pretty well for me. Then again... my pods are messing me up at the moment.. but I hope it was the oil I sprayed on them... not the pods themselves... I'll know for sure when/if they dry out or I get new ones.

74 kz400 D cafe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2013 22:00 #583765 by H1Vindicator
Replied by H1Vindicator on topic My CV Carb jetting/Don't oil emgo pods ( i think)
Some pod filters are supposed to be oiled & are washable/reusable. Others should be installed dry & are typically tossed instead of being cleaned... usually the less expensive type.

• recez
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 74 kz400 D
More
23 Apr 2013 22:19 #583768 by recez
I have definitely learned my lesson with these cheap emgo pods... Don't Oil them!!! I was actually told to do so by some long time biker guy... I imagine his intentions were good but didn't know these emgo filters are cheap and don't use oil.. To be honest though I have to say I'm a fan of the pods. Now I've never rode a stock KZ400 with the air box so I have nothing to compare it to... But as it stands right now my bike is running great with pods on a CV carb....Great is subjective, My bike didn't run at all when I got it.. so now that it's running my "great" could be someone else's "mediocre". But acceleration is good, I could ride wheelies if I tried and do burn outs if I wanted to ( i wouldn't do that to this bike)... but what more would the stock air box give me that I'm not getting with pods? Granted I have taken off my carb probably 7 times in the past week trying different things but 2 main jet sizes up and you're good to go. I did try a larger slow jet, but seems to like the 40 slow jet is better.

74 kz400 D cafe

More
23 Apr 2013 23:15 #583774 by Nebr_Rex
Those pods are the problem if they are blocking the air bleed ports that run on the circumference of the ventri of the carb.
Just acquired another 440 Ltd that had them cheap emgo wire mesh pods.
Seperate the 'filter' part form the part that clamps to carb.
Put the clamped part back on the carb and check to see if them little holes are viewable.
Use Uni foam filters, they clear,$40-45.

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

• recez
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 74 kz400 D
More
23 Apr 2013 23:37 #583776 by recez
Thanks for the suggestion.... I know exactly what you're saying. I haven't checked it that way though... I will try that. The only reason I say it's the oil... because I wasn't having any problems with the pods until I sprayed the oil on them. I did think about the air bleed ports so I made sure not to tighten the clamps in such a way that the rubber protruded over them. I will look into the uni foam pods. At the risk of sounding really superficial and a typical cafe racer geek... the emgo pods do look the best on these bikes... Why can't K & n make a pod that looks as good as emgo's. Maybe they do... I just haven't found them yet.

74 kz400 D cafe

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
23 Apr 2013 23:59 - 24 Apr 2013 00:00 #583779 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic My CV Carb jetting/Don't oil emgo pods ( i think)
you should not do anything to emgo pods, don't spray starting fluid into them, don't spray carb cleaner into them and definitely don't put motor oil onto them!!
Last edit: 24 Apr 2013 00:00 by donthaveakawman.

• kawasaki mike
  • User
  • kawasaki mike
More
01 May 2013 01:12 #585055 by kawasaki mike
Replied by kawasaki mike on topic My CV Carb jetting/Don't oil emgo pods ( i think)
I am running emglo pods on 29mm smoothbores and I oil them with the k&n filter oil once avery 2 months. K7n oil is light and works well. My opinion is never run a dry pod cause fine dust will get in you engine. Good luck. Oh Vance & hines sell pods with built in velocity stacks that will allow air in the cv openings.

Am addicted to Z1's and kz 900's have an el camino, fly rc helicoptors and am strung out on horsepower.

More
03 May 2013 21:11 #585516 by daveo
kawasaki mike,
I'm not finding V&H pod filters. Can you provide a link?

1982 KZ1100-A2

• kawasaki mike
  • User
  • kawasaki mike
More
11 May 2013 17:28 #586897 by kawasaki mike
Replied by kawasaki mike on topic My CV Carb jetting/Don't oil emgo pods ( i think)
Did you ever find the pods you were looking for

Am addicted to Z1's and kz 900's have an el camino, fly rc helicoptors and am strung out on horsepower.