HIgh Idle

More
22 Apr 2013 14:45 #583551 by BHeirich
HIgh Idle was created by BHeirich
Hey guys, I'm a little new at this so bare with me. I've got a 78 Kz650 SR D1A that runs fairly well. Although whenever I crack the Throttle it wants to stay in the 6000 rpm range and the only way to bring it down is by tweeking the idle adjustment screw. Not sure how to fix this. I put some Clubman style Handlebars on the thing and in the process only hooked up one of my cables on the the throttle handle. Had a bitch of a time trying to get both on and finally just gave up and used one. Figured it was all I needed, but I maybe completely wrong. Anyhow I would greatly appreciate any help with this issue. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jacksdad
  • User
  • 1979 kz 750 OUCH, IT SPARKED
More
22 Apr 2013 18:38 #583580 by jacksdad
Replied by jacksdad on topic HIgh Idle
Completely wrong, the other cable its a deceleration cable, absolute must

1979 kz750 twin cyl.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Byron85

More
23 Apr 2013 13:27 #583692 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic HIgh Idle
You can run with only the pull cable, I have been running one cable on my 78 KZ650 for over 30 years without any issues. I would make sure your cable is clean, lubed and not binding anywhere, does it do this with the cable removed? Is the return spring hooked up and functioning correctly?

More
23 Apr 2013 13:32 #583696 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic HIgh Idle
I would check the cable carefully. You should not have had any problem hooking up both cables, but since you did I suspect something is routed or hooked up wrong. I would recommend getting that other cable installed, just in case you ever need to shut down that throttle. Reaching under the tank to turn the throttle stop screw in an emergency could be tricky. Also, make sure the cables are freshly lubed so they operate freely. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
15 May 2013 14:25 #587542 by Byron85
Replied by Byron85 on topic HIgh Idle
THANKS FOR THE INFO BUD!

SORRY FOR THE DELAYED RESPONSE BY THE WAY. I'LL LOOK INTO IT ABIT MORE.
A FRIEND TOLD ME TO SOAK THE CABLE IN SOME OIL FOR A WEEK AND LET IT LUBRICATE FULLY.
I'LL TRY IT OUT