jets, carb, single?

More
19 Apr 2013 11:10 - 19 Apr 2013 11:13 #583084 by barreto
jets, carb, single? was created by barreto
Hi Guys,

I have a 1980 KZ440B I've been working on for a month now. It sat untouched in the original owner's garage since the early 1990's. I rebuilt the carbs, cleaned everythig up and got in running in stock form before all the changes.
After I started modifying it, I started reading about all the issues that go along with changing the intake and exhaust.

The pods went on first and it ran ok so I bumped the main jet up to a 72 and left the secondary (the bike is almost strictly a commuter across town so getting it above 4k wasn't likely). It ran very well with just the pods and stock exhaust but of course I wanted it to be louder than a vespa so I put a shorty on the stock pipes and also put 100 secondary mains in it as well. Now it runs like crap. It starts fine and idles but there's a huge hesitation getting it above idle and then hangs at a higher rpm after letting go. Adjusting the mixture screws doesn't seem to change much. I've checked the float level and they seem to be correct.

I butterfly'd the shorty with a washer to see if that would help at all but that doesn't seem to do much either. I would consider welding the old pipe back on but there are big chunks of the insides (catalytic?) bouncing around inside when you shake it, so I don't really want to do that. I'm not exceptional with tuning carbs beyond rebuilding and changing out jets.

My other option is another set of carbs or a single carb, which I would rather do. I have made the parts for the manifold, and wouldn't take much to make it but I need some input on which carb. I figured I would use a Mikuni VM, but which size should I go with? 34, 36, 38?

The bike's current form

Manifold material
Last edit: 19 Apr 2013 11:13 by barreto.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2013 12:27 #583095 by Jrbrownie00
Replied by Jrbrownie00 on topic jets, carb, single?
off topic but awesome looking bike. Did you make the seat yourself?

82' kz750 ltd.

More
19 Apr 2013 13:04 #583099 by barreto
Replied by barreto on topic jets, carb, single?
Thanks. Yes, I did the seat and all the work myself. I have a small shop where I do fab work. Here are a few more pictures.