VM24ss gas path

More
16 Apr 2013 12:45 #582660 by KowalskiCW
VM24ss gas path was created by KowalskiCW
Hopefully a quick one. I'm rebuilding my carbs and noticed the gas tube connectors between carbs are lookin a bit old. I'd like to reuse them but not sure they will continue to make a gas tight seal. Any advice what to use like a grease or soak them in something to bring the rubber back to life? Or should I be safe and order new parts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Apr 2013 12:58 #582663 by jeffecor
Replied by jeffecor on topic VM24ss gas path
I'm going to take a guess they are o rings. Switch i just replace on my kz750 with a kit of different size of o rings from harbor freight for 6 dallors.

1980 Kawasaki 750 h1 ltd

More
16 Apr 2013 13:21 #582664 by KowalskiCW
Replied by KowalskiCW on topic VM24ss gas path
Well actually they are more like rubber sleeves with o-ring type bumps molded into them. I've seen replacement parts that do just have two o-rings I could order just trying to save pennies.

More
16 Apr 2013 13:41 #582667 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic VM24ss gas path
Correct. Kawasaki (actually Mikuni) did not use o-rings on those tubes (they are called "Fuel Hose Nipples") on VM24 carbs. Some aftermarket pieces, like those sold by Z1E, do use o-rings. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
16 Apr 2013 13:53 #582669 by KowalskiCW
Right so you think just some petroleum jelly or white lithium grease on them during reassembly would help seal? I don't think they were leaking much if any before the rebuild but who knows my carbs were fairly dirty coming off.

More
16 Apr 2013 14:10 #582674 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic VM24ss gas path
Put them together and turn on the fuel. They may leak a little after being dry for a while, but after the fuel soaks them they may stop leaking. A few years ago I had my bike in the basement doing some work on it over the Winter. I had drained the carbs and removed the fuel tank to avoid any possible fire hazard. In the Spring when I took the bike outside and put the tank on, the "T" fitting between carbs 2 & 3 began leaking where it connects to the carbs. They had never leaked before. I shut off the petcock and figured I needed to find a new "T", but by the next day the "T" had stopped leaking. It has not leaked a drop since then and that was more than 5 years ago. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
16 Apr 2013 14:29 #582682 by KowalskiCW
Huh alright I'm all about savin dough for other parts on my project! I'll just put a small amount of jelly on them now and wipe them clean before reassembly which may be a couple weeks.
Thanks