gas in oil still

More
14 Apr 2013 21:55 #582341 by Calico
gas in oil still was created by Calico
Ok, 82' kz750ltd 4cyl. My question is, if the carbs are tuned wrong, will that cause a vacuum at the petcock to drain fuel?

81' KZ750LTD 4 CYL
82' KZ750LTD 4 CYL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2013 00:07 #582383 by KZJOE900
Replied by KZJOE900 on topic gas in oil still
Float levels could wrong and set too high, but that won't cause a vacuum at the petcock when the engine is off. The petcock will only leak when the engine is off if it is defective. Unless you have it set to prime of course.

First, I fix the petcock/vacuum valve. Easy enough to check once its fixed or even before fixing it, by setting the tank having some fuel on a bench and the petcock set to off and no vacuum. So nothing should flow/drip out of the fuel delivery line. Not a bad idea to clean out the tank while you are at it. Install an inline filter. Very hard to get the tank completely clean. And you don't want to have to go through this again even if it is fixed this time around. The next step may not be applicable to your bike. Don't know if your needles are rubber tipped or not. If not, take your valve seat and needle and try lapping them. I used rubbing compound on the valve seat with a Que tip. And then some more compound and cleaned the needle tip. Then with more compound I lapped the valve seat with the valve needle for a bit. Cleaned off every thing with carb cleaner. This finally fixed my leaking issue.

P.S. I had originally replaced my needles and valves with some from the K&N rebuild kits I used to rebuild the carbs. But those seemed to leak. So that is when I put the originals back in after lapping them.

Here is a link of the carb rack holder I constructed which works with a workmate bench. Helps make leveling the floats easier. I should have made it so it had legs on the bottom and top as well so I can turn the assembly upside down when needed to make it easier to work on once I determine a float needs adjustment.

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450
The following user(s) said Thank You: Calico

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
15 Apr 2013 04:05 #582415 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic gas in oil still
maybe the floats are stuck open. for now it would be best to drain the fuel out of it all together. the vacuum petcock should keep the fuel in the tank when it is set to on or res if the bike is not running.