76 z1 rs34s HELP!!!!

More
14 Apr 2013 12:27 #582263 by ironkaw5050
76 z1 rs34s HELP!!!! was created by ironkaw5050
Hello to anyone that can help me,

I have a 76 z1 completly redone and motor is built well with a 1040 kit web cams cp or wiesco pistions and the rs34 carbs Dyna s and dyna coils. Ok so ive been trying to dial this thing in for weeks and iam completely stumped in fact im about ready to put the stock carbs back on. I go threw plugs about once maybe twice a month. It runs well on the top but way rich on the bottom and a big hesitaion on the throttle response. but when i raised the clip lowered the pilot to 15 it sound like its lean but i took my k$n pods off look in the carb while running and when i open or snap the throttle there is way to much fuel in fact theres so much it will bleed back out into the filters. but remeber when its runing and i hold the throttle say at 5k it pops and bangs.

Awhile ago i had some coil issues i was doing a wheele and when i brought the front end back down the coil moved and was shorting out just cause it was to close to the frame ya know. you guys think this miight still be my problem not getting hot enough spark should i try a differnt setting on the dyna s. we had this motor done about 5 yrs ago and i ve been riding it with 120 mains 17.5 pilots and needle clip right in the center and acclerator pump off and it runs fine on the highway and not bad intown but like i said before i will foul plugs and no throttle response. i finally got sick of it and thats why im now trying to fine tune it. the coils are only 6months old i will try and post a pick of the wire and coils just to give and idea.

Thanks
ironkaw500
pxrider15k@hotmail.com
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2013 20:01 #582310 by DFIGPZ
Replied by DFIGPZ on topic 76 z1 rs34s HELP!!!!
Where do you have your mixture screws set at ?

1984 750 Turbo

More
14 Apr 2013 22:49 #582351 by ironkaw5050
Replied by ironkaw5050 on topic 76 z1 rs34s HELP!!!!
Well i kinda have been in and out with them. with 125 main 17.5 pilot and clip in the middle there damn near all the way in maybe an 1/8 out. right now i got 120m 15p and moved clip up and it pops and bangs at 5k on the throttle when i let off it doesnt pop however it takes a little bit to come down to idle almost like floats are sticking but there not, What about my float levels think they might be off. with the jets and way it is now it sounds worse and alot more snappy like it is to lean but when u whatch inside the carb theres alot of fule i mean almost like the main jets arnt even their ive never seen anything like it, now i am running the accelerator pump i dont think it needs that extra squirt but that pump is suppose to help my response and i think it would when i get this fuel issue figured out something has to be wrong because ive neverf herd of anyone using lower than 15 pilots or really even lower than 110 115 on the mains right

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
15 Apr 2013 01:14 #582400 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic 76 z1 rs34s HELP!!!!
Don't know what to tell ya on the carbs,but that's a nice looking bike :)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
15 Apr 2013 04:08 #582416 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic 76 z1 rs34s HELP!!!!
what type of spark plugs to you have?

More
15 Apr 2013 08:41 #582424 by ironkaw5050
Thank you i have to give all the credit to my dad he got it yrs ago and it was really rough and so we stipped it all down. KPM out of davenpot ia built the motor, and paint was done mark hatifeild out of muscatine,ia he actually came up with this color blue kinda went off a bud light can. Then the old man got a damn harley and the kz sat and he wouldnt come off it ( i dont blame him) well i finally talk him it selling it as long as it stayed in the family. lol he actually did another one looks idenical but is kaw green il see if i can get a couple more pics, dont get me wrong i think i ve put more blood sweet and tears in this thing than he did, as he had the money to have kpm do all the work lol well i dont, ive raced motorcycles my whole and over the years i learned alot on tuning and now actually do repair and service work for people. BUT THIS THING MAKES ME FEEL STUPID LIKE IM MISSING SOMETHTING

as far as plugs go im running b8es and i even tried running the irridumb (however you spell it) plugs didnt do anything actually bike really didnt like them I thought i found the problem last night remember i had coil issues well the one power wire on the right coil got hot and last night i was looking and i found what looked to be a pinched or kinked wire it was just barely hanging on anyways i replaced the whole wire, fired it up and NOPE still runs the same. IDK maybe im beeing to picky cause like i said i can ride it where ever and its fine it just loads up in town and i really have to use clutch in first gear to bring the front end up. i know i shouldnt be doing that stupid stuff but you guys should see the peoples faces when and old bike like that still has the balls of corse it is a kz

More
15 Apr 2013 16:29 #582496 by ironkaw5050
ok today i tried this from square one i put brand new plugs b8es 120 mains 15 pilots needle clip all the way up it didnt sound too bad in the driveway i checked the pugs after i fired it up i let run for about 5 min rev it up and down and plugs where completely black horriable, (so still way to rich) too it out and top end feels really good bottom end is worse but if i out the choke on that thing comes to life big time and runs the way it should. i went down to the motorcycle shop to see about getting a bigger needle and this young cocky irregant kid working the parts counter wasnt much help when i ask if they any mikuni needle on hand of corse he said no then i tried telling him the carbs i had and starting reading the part number for the needle and interupted me and pretty much yelled WHAT KIND OF BIKE DO YOU HAVE!!!! i looked at him dead silence and siad something that was before your time puppy dog. which he wanted to look it up by application which i understand but remind you when i first talk to him i told him i needed a needle for my RS34 mikunis. anyways im done working on it for the day and will go to the other parts store from now on.

anyone got anything on this issue thanks

More
10 May 2013 18:14 #586773 by KZ1000A2A
Replied by KZ1000A2A on topic 76 z1 rs34s HELP!!!!
Just me thinking but it sounds like you may have a pilot jet/circuit plugged. If it idles and revs good when warm with the choke on... I would take a close look at the idle circuits. When starting from cold at idle (no reving) does one pipe stay cooler than the rest or are they even? Yes, this part can sting a bit...

More
10 May 2013 20:25 - 10 May 2013 20:45 #586788 by Dr. Gamma
Replied by Dr. Gamma on topic 76 z1 rs34s HELP!!!!
On the RS34 Mikuni carbs, you can lean or richen the whole idle circuit by changing the size of the Pilot Air Jets located in the bellmouth of each carb. If you have a small size air jet, no matter what pilot jet you put in, it stays rich. When I moved from Chicago to Arizona (700feet above sea level to 4,000 feet above sea level) I ended up changing both the pilot jets and uped the size of the pilot air jet to get my bike to carburet cleanly at low RPM's!! I think their part number are like BS30/97-*.*

Plus you can set how much fuel the accelerator pumps spray too!! I must of had my carbs off and on my motor 15 times or so till I got them real close!!! I would only change ONE THING AT A TIME on the carbs. If you do too many things at one time, you might just end up lost and with a set of carbs that run like dog do do through out the whole RPM range.

I would suggest you invest in a Sudco Mikuni Tuning Guide. It explains everything that you can adjust in any type of Mikuni carb.

1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.
Last edit: 10 May 2013 20:45 by Dr. Gamma.
The following user(s) said Thank You: turboking

More
10 May 2013 20:44 #586790 by Hogslayer
Replied by Hogslayer on topic 76 z1 rs34s HELP!!!!
In my years of experiance if you go to 28mm carb off a 73 to 75 Z1 YOU WOULD THROW the 34s away!

More
10 May 2013 23:01 - 10 May 2013 23:07 #586799 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic 76 z1 rs34s HELP!!!!
Very nice looking bike. Don't let anyone tell you the Mikuni's are no good. The Mikuni RS series carbs are fantastic carburetors once dialed in. Was the bike running good prior to shorting out the coils? Has the bike ever run good with the carbs? If so then the coils will still be your problem, if not then before doing any changes to your carbs you have to make sure your float levels are correct Everything else is based on the float levels. Check them using the wet clear tube method. The float levels need to be about 2mm below the top of the mating surface of the float bowl.
I have an ELR clone with a modded Gpz1100 engine, 1135cc pistons, 10.25-1 compression, head ported, performance valve job and a 4 into 1 Kerker with race baffle and the Mikuni RS36 carbs with K&N pod filters. My jetting is
1. mains are 127.5
2. pilots are #20
3. needle clip in the 4 slot from top.
4. Mixture screw 1/8 turn out.
This gets me just about perfect jetting. It took me a while to get it all right. I must have had the carbs on and off about 30 times. As Dr. Gamma said do one change at a time otherwise you will never know what change effected what. Read up on what carb circuit effects what throttle settings, you NEED to have a good understanding of carb principles prior to trying to dial them in. Such as knowing the pilot jet does not effect full throttle operation, the needle jet effects midrange, ect. FYI I have run the Mikuni VM28's on this bike and they don't even come close to the performance of the RS.

[IMG
Last edit: 10 May 2013 23:07 by baldy110.