KZ200 Engine quits.

• helpermonkey
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Apr 2013 23:58 #582215 by helpermonkey
KZ200 Engine quits. was created by helpermonkey
I recently purchased a 78 KZ200 with only 252 miles on it. This bike has been in storage for 35 years and is in pristine shape I changed the oil, drained all the old gas then refilled it with ethanol free 87 octane. The gas tank and carb look clean as new inside. It starts on the 1st kick with the choke on when cold. I will ride for a few minutes then it will bog down and quit. I can not get it started until after it sits a few minutes. After a couple of minutes it will start then quit again aftêr I ride for a minute or two. Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2013 05:08 - 14 Apr 2013 05:08 #582245 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic KZ200 Engine quits.

helpermonkey wrote: I recently purchased a 78 KZ200 with only 252 miles on it. This bike has been in storage for 35 years and is in pristine shape I changed the oil, drained all the old gas then refilled it with ethanol free 87 octane. The gas tank and carb look clean as new inside. It starts on the 1st kick with the choke on when cold. I will ride for a few minutes then it will bog down and quit. I can not get it started until after it sits a few minutes. After a couple of minutes it will start then quit again aftêr I ride for a minute or two. Thanks in advance.

Might be fuel starvation.

If fuel tank isn't properly venting, may test run with cap ajar to see whether condition persists.

Would also assure that the carb float bowl vent is exiting to open air.

If an in-line fuel filter is fitted, assure it isn't clogged.

Also assure that the petcock isn't clogged.

Basically want to assure free gravity flow of fuel from the tank into the carb.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 14 Apr 2013 05:08 by Patton.

• helpermonkey
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Apr 2013 11:34 #582257 by helpermonkey
Replied by helpermonkey on topic KZ200 Engine quits.
Patton, you might have given me the solution. I noticed a hissing sound coming from the gas cap after the motor would quit. Now I just need to figure out the fix. One other thing, I don't know if this could be related, I need a new battery as the original batt is not holding a charge at all. I thought that I read in an older post somewhere that someone was having a similar problem and it was due to a dead battery. Thanks again.

More
14 Apr 2013 12:36 #582264 by Patton
Would have the battery "load-tested" which is usually a free service anywhere that new batteries are sold.

Before taking the battery in for the test, would remove it from the bike, add distilled water as might be necessary to restore fluid levels, and then charge the battery overnight with a 1~2 amp charger. This gets the battery into its most presentable condition for the load-test.

If this is the same battery that was in the bike after 35 years storage, ignore the load test and install a brand new battery. The old battery may be worth trading in to save a core charge. Be sure to properly service and charge the new battery prior to installation.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
14 Apr 2013 12:40 - 14 Apr 2013 12:40 #582266 by Patton
If needed, this link should produce a free downloadable service manual:

Click here > www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.164610...5236331&l=b7a818679d

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 14 Apr 2013 12:40 by Patton.