runnin like crap!

More
03 Apr 2013 20:57 #580425 by cracker0
runnin like crap! was created by cracker0
hello all,
not sure where to put this so i'll start here.75 z1-b new motor rebuilt,supposedly.compression=#1-125.#2-110.#3-110.#4-120.hot cams,10.5 pistons,stage 1 porting.vm-29,s.shims good.22.5 pilots,120 mains,2mm slides.timing on spot.workin on slow system now,seems to run and idle ok cold then warmed up idle not steady,pop throttle and it hangs high,no cable attached.get the idle down and it really sounds labored.dont the compression sound low?any clue to this nightmare?also advancer is free.
thanks.

75,z1b,34 rs,cams,porting,k+n,dyna2 and 4 into 1.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Apr 2013 22:17 - 03 Apr 2013 22:19 #580444 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic runnin like crap!
That all depends, what is the history of the bike, has it sat for a long time if so then the compression numbers will probably go up as the engine runs. If it is a fresh engine the numbers should alos go up as the engine breaks in. If it has not been sitting then I would do a complete tune up including valve adjustments.
If the carbs have been sitting for a long time with gas left in the bowls then they will need cleaning. Check you manifolds for vacumm leaks.
I have an 1135cc high compression engine with stage 1 porting. I was never able to get the engine to run correctly with the VM style carburetors, hanging idle and a hug flat spot right off idle. After 1 year of tuning with three diffrent sets of caburetors I finally just ponied up and bought a set of Mikuni RS36 flatslides. Bolted those and all of the probelms went away. Those carbs were almost spot on right out of the box.
Last edit: 03 Apr 2013 22:19 by baldy110.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cracker0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.