idle issues

More
30 Mar 2013 19:32 #579663 by kzRmike
idle issues was created by kzRmike
So im bran new to riding motorcycles and I just bought my first bike a 1978 kz200 and I bought it running good but alittle carb issues (either would try to stall or go way up in rpms, and having a hard time starting) you would have to mess with the throttle bolt on the carb a lot. The problem got worse and worse in a period of two days so I took it in to a shop to get it looked at. They fix the problems had something to do with the float needle. starts first kick, when I got the bike back I rode it arownd everything was fine, rode like a dream. Left it at my work overnight got it out the next day it started fine but It almost sounds like it skips a beat, like trys to die for a split second like every couple seconds. And it likes to just stall out after a like 30s of idling unless I throttle a bit here and there. And it almost sounds like it trys to die for a split second right when I give it alittle throttle. I turned the throttle screw of the carb to tune it alittle and I cant find a sweet spot it either dose the, trying to die thing or starts going up in rpms. I have no temp gage for my oil so idk how hot its getting, its hot to the touch all over the engine maybe enough to make water sizzle… like I seed I’m bran new to this stuff so idk if my engines running super hot or if its normal plus all the other problems might be normal no clue.. Please help it almost seams like it has all the same problems as before just not as bad. Should I take it to a shop again or go yell at the guys or maybe something as small as an oil change?????

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Mar 2013 10:10 #579768 by Spectre1982
Replied by Spectre1982 on topic idle issues
First things first, you need a factory service manual for your bike. That's an old machine so plan on learning how to work on it. Sounds like the pilot circuit is still dirty. I cleaned my carbs 3 times before I finally got everything completely clean.

I would also lube the timing advancer and check valve clearances.

Patton has a really good carb cleaning diagram. It shows you the inside of the carb and where all the passages lead. I looked for it but I couldn't find it.

With determination, your factory service manual and simple hand tools, you can accomplish a lot.

1982 Kawasaki KZ750 Spectre

1978 Kawasaki KZ200

1985 Yamaha XV1000 Virago

(Avatar picture is from Alleycatscustoms.com)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.