Have to snap the throttle to lower idle speed.

• ironslave
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • sup
More
30 Mar 2013 17:01 #579631 by ironslave
When I am out riding and the bike warms up the idle will sit high unless i rev the engine and let it snap back. Then it will idle like it should. I suspect something in the throttle linkages between the carbs. I already replaced the throttle cable and adjusted the play at the throttles to I am not really sure what else to do.

1981 KZ750 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
30 Mar 2013 18:35 #579646 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Have to snap the throttle to lower idle speed.
do you have any slack-play in the throttle handle grip...there should be a little lag before turning and tension on the cable...when the bike is cold-at rest...is there any slack in the cable where it hooks onto to the carbs

there should be some play in these two spots...also...if you have the bike running and turn the idle set screw at the carbs out...idle down...does it die eventually ...does the idle screw adjust/set idle like it should??

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• Proxy
  • User
  • 80% Human 20% Nuts/Bolts
More
30 Mar 2013 18:59 #579656 by Proxy
What he said. Also look at your cable routing and reduce any tight bends. Other than that what kind of carbs are they CV?

Take it from me cuz I found
If you leave it then somebody else is bound,
To find that treasure, that moment of pleasure,
When yours, it could have been.
1977 KZ650 B1 Being restored to original (Green)
1977 KZ650 B1 Original (Red) Sold
1977 KZ650 B1 Donor Bike for Parts

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
31 Mar 2013 04:12 - 31 Mar 2013 04:31 #579763 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic Have to snap the throttle to lower idle speed.
pb blaster 10w-d-40, 3 in one tranny fluid, motor oil whatever is clever.

-edit(you have to give these guys a break, they have no idea what the question is until somebody answers it)
Last edit: 31 Mar 2013 04:31 by donthaveakawman.

• ironslave
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • sup
More
31 Mar 2013 12:33 #579796 by ironslave
Replied by ironslave on topic Have to snap the throttle to lower idle speed.

donthaveakawman wrote: pb blaster 10w-d-40, 3 in one tranny fluid, motor oil whatever is clever.

-edit(you have to give these guys a break, they have no idea what the question is until somebody answers it)

so put it on the springs between the carbs? what about dirt buildup?

1981 KZ750 LTD

More
31 Mar 2013 14:17 #579806 by peter1958

More
31 Mar 2013 17:25 #579831 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Have to snap the throttle to lower idle speed.
Disconnect the return cable and see if it still does it. If it doesn't do it then your return cable is either to tight or sticking. FYI, ignore any advice from donthaveakawman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jonarmstrong

More
01 Apr 2013 10:31 #579918 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Have to snap the throttle to lower idle speed.
Can you simulate it in your driveway? Try it with cables off the carbs. If it does same thing this will tell you carbs or cables,throttle grip. ;)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ironslave

More
01 Apr 2013 11:36 - 01 Apr 2013 11:36 #579928 by Patton

peter1958 wrote: If the handle is to close to the controls it can hang up as well.

Also, the throttle mechanism might be located to allow inside of the throttle grip to rub against end of the handlebar.

If not already done, would assure the grip isn't rubbing against end of the handlebar.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 01 Apr 2013 11:36 by Patton.

• kawasaki mike
  • User
  • kawasaki mike
More
01 Apr 2013 18:20 #579988 by kawasaki mike
Replied by kawasaki mike on topic Have to snap the throttle to lower idle speed.
Not to but in here, but do you have a push-pull cable set up(2) If not, you will have to put another spring on the carbs to help them return to closed. Any auto part store will sell a spring assortment. Pick one that gives just enough tension to get the job done. This will however result in a harder throttle pull. Your bike should accept a push-pull set up and is the right way to go. Mine has a single so I had to add a spring. Stay safe.

Am addicted to Z1's and kz 900's have an el camino, fly rc helicoptors and am strung out on horsepower.

• ironslave
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • sup
More
25 Apr 2013 16:37 #583995 by ironslave
Replied by ironslave on topic Have to snap the throttle to lower idle speed.
Ok. It's been cold so the bikes been sitting for a bit. got it out today and the problem remains. I will ride it and once its warmed up I will rev the trottle manually and see if it idles high. It is a one cable system and the springs are strong, the vavles open and close like they should with no problems. I am wondering is the slides are sticking (vaccume slides). They come down very slowly and sometimes dont come down at all when I push them up with my finger. when I suck on the vaccume ports though the slides come right up with no problem.

as far as the cable goes, there are no tight bends and the handlebar is not a problem. the cable mooves freely.

1981 KZ750 LTD

More
25 Apr 2013 17:15 #584000 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Have to snap the throttle to lower idle speed.
It sounds like you are either running the Mikuni BS34 or the Kehein CV carbs. Do not oil the springs that will do nothing. Have you made any changes to the carbs or engine that preceeded this? If you start modding the carbs or engine you will probably need to adjust the idle mixture screws. If you are 100% certain there is no binding with the cable or linkage then it sounds like you are a little lean on the mixture screws.
The vacumn slides do not effect idle period. The idle sircuit is controlled by the pilot jets and idle mixture scews. You can let the bike idle and raise the slides manually and it won't do anything so do not start messing with those. They are supposed to come down slowly and they are controlled by engine vacumn.