Torn Carb diaphragms prevent bike from starting?

More
20 Mar 2013 02:53 #577796 by crabman02
Can torn carb diaphragms or old diaphragms prevent the bike from starting? i got a 1981 kz440 that wont start without ether, and i dont believe gas is getting to the engine because it just turns and turns without a hint of it catching. I also have pod filters on, can it be that?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Mar 2013 07:15 #577805 by Britbiker
Replied by Britbiker on topic Torn Carb diaphragms prevent bike from starting?
From my information you will get a very lean mixture Yoa can repair these diaphrams using Liquid RUBBER sorry thats not the commercial name comes in a glass bottle you build up small layers at a time very good for all exposed electrical connections Magic !

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
20 Mar 2013 16:24 #577868 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic Torn Carb diaphragms prevent bike from starting?
It is a bad idea to use pod filters on vacuum slide carbs.

• boyd825
  • User
  • Ride it like you stole it!
More
20 Mar 2013 18:12 #577884 by boyd825
The torn diaphragm may or may not keep it from starting but it will definitely keep it from running properly. Gonna need to get some new ones. Have never been able to repair them and last for any length of time.

1977 KZ1000 A1

More
20 Mar 2013 20:11 #577900 by baldtires

More
20 Mar 2013 22:01 #577911 by baldy110
No, torn diaphrams will not prevent the engine from starting. In fact you can remove the diaphram and it will start and idle. It will not allow the engine to run past idle though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: slayer61

More
20 Mar 2013 23:52 #577928 by Hollywoodmx
Replied by Hollywoodmx on topic Torn Carb diaphragms prevent bike from starting?
Do you have spark? are the carb boots ok? If so. I bet its the jetting.

Pods wont make a difference either way.

Pods off; Do this, take a spray bottle, fill it with a bit of gas, shoot it in the carbs when trying to start it, you might have to turn the throttle a tad. If it starts or stumbles starts you are lean yo! Or clogged carbs/jets.

P.S. be careful with doing this. Also make the the garage door is open and don't face the exhaust or the carbs in case of a back fire.

- 82 GPz1100injection
- 77 Kz1075 Supercharged
- 81 Yamaha TR-1
- 81 Yamaha xv920
Calgary

More
21 Mar 2013 01:11 #577939 by crabman02
Replied by crabman02 on topic Torn Carb diaphragms prevent bike from starting?
i have spark, and the boots arent cracked or anything, and i have installed a new float needle and gaskets for the carbs. i got it running once off of ether but it was really loud at 5000 rpms idle :pinch: any clue what it could be?

More
21 Mar 2013 09:47 #577974 by Britbiker
Replied by Britbiker on topic Torn Carb diaphragms prevent bike from starting?
Is this loud expensive mechanical engine noise or from the mufflers ? Have you put decent new oil in the engine ? Keith

More
21 Mar 2013 12:49 - 21 Mar 2013 12:55 #577985 by baldy110

donthaveakawman wrote: It is a bad idea to use pod filters on vacuum slide carbs.

Not a bad idea just requires more tuning. If the bike sat for an extended period of time with old gas in the carbs then they will be clogged. If the bike starts on ether then you know the ignition system is at least firing. Did this just come on or was the bike stored? If stored then take the carbs apart and thourghly clean them paying attention to the idle circuit and all it's small passageways.
Last edit: 21 Mar 2013 12:55 by baldy110.

More
21 Mar 2013 16:42 #578020 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Torn Carb diaphragms prevent bike from starting?

baldy110 wrote: No, torn diaphrams will not prevent the engine from starting. In fact you can remove the diaphram and it will start and idle. It will not allow the engine to run past idle though.

+1 The slide sits all the way down at idle anyway so the diaphragm is doing nothing there.

I patches slits in my diaphragms with urethane (gorilla) glue but that's not why yours won't start.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
21 Mar 2013 16:44 - 21 Mar 2013 16:45 #578022 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Torn Carb diaphragms prevent bike from starting?

crabman02 wrote: i have spark, and the boots arent cracked or anything, and i have installed a new float needle and gaskets for the carbs. i got it running once off of ether but it was really loud at 5000 rpms idle :pinch: any clue what it could be?

VACUUM LEAK.

I would clean the fuel system top down (tank, petcock, carbs) then install inline filters. Check/adjust fuel levels in bowls using a clear tube.

If you can get it running, check for vacuum leaks.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 21 Mar 2013 16:45 by bountyhunter.