Sorry, But yet another jetting thread (650, vm26)

More
14 Mar 2013 17:26 - 14 Mar 2013 17:27 #576956 by NickMac
I apologize in advance if this thread is redundant, but I have not been able to find a solid answer for a good starting point for jetting my kz650 project. Specifically if anyone has any experience with the kz650 platform with kz750 cams and vm26ss carb your input would be much appreciated.

Setup:
'77 kz650B, stock head, kz750 cams ( on the way), vm26ss carbs (nonpumper, 1.5cutaway, both pilot and air screw), Emgo pods, kerker 4-1 chopped with mild baffle,

Questions:
1) Since the vm26ss carbs have both air and pilot screws where should i start with # of turns for both? gd4now suggested screwing the pilot screw all the way in, which i really would prefer for simplicity.
2) How does 120main, 20pilot, 4th needle position sound as a starting point?

Thanks in advance for your input!
-Nick
Last edit: 14 Mar 2013 17:27 by NickMac.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
More
15 Mar 2013 16:09 #577069 by gd4now
First, thanks for starting a separate thread - we were kind of hijacking the other one.

As I said in the other thread, you can either screw the pilot (fuel) screw all the way in and use just the air screw for adjustment. When I said that you asked something like would that not cut the entire pilot circuit out. The answer is no it will not. The Mikuni carbs that have a pilot (fuel) screw also still have an opening under the slide that is called a bypass outlet. It is pretty much the same thing as the pilot outlet on the carbs that do not have a pilot (fuel) screw. (see attached pics).

The suggestion regarding to screw the pilot (fuel) screw in tight came directly from a Microfiche parts diagram for the (K)Z650 B models. It is what Kawasaki suggested to the dealers to do with the carbs that had both an air and pilot screw.

I also posted settings that you can set both of the screws to as well. The pilot (fuel) screw to 1 3/4 out from very lightly seated and the air screw 1 3/8 from very lightly seated. I would then leave the pilot screws at that setting and only use the air screw for any additional adjustment needed.

As to jetting, as I said I think it is dependent upon just which set of carbs you have. IIRC you indicted the cutaway was 1.5, any other info on jet or needle sizes currently in them. I am thinking the 120 main maybe just a tad large, but you will not know till you try. If pilot jet that was stock on the set was a 15 then I think one size up (17.5) would put you in the ball park. If on the other hand the stock pilot was 22.5 or larger, I would leave it there as a starting point.

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.