Crappy carb gaskets- beware!

More
10 Mar 2013 14:47 #576359 by Roadflyer
Crappy carb gaskets- beware! was created by Roadflyer
I've been trying to find the source of fuel weeping from my carbs for a while. After I run the bike I can smell fuel in my shop where its parked for about a week and the carb bowls are damp.
The fuel level is correct and the overflow tubes never drip fuel. All the gaskets and drain O rings are new. I bought new aluminium/ o-ringed fuel fittings to replace the plastic one's that I thought might be causing the problem. When I took the carbs apart to replace them and rejet, I found that the carb bowl gaskets where sopping wet with fuel, Clearly the gasket material is wicking fuel to the outside of the bowl!! The gaskets are wet and spongy, a tan color with blueish printing across them.
I wish I could say where I got them ( maybe Z1, probably Feabay) but I bought way too many things for the bike to remember.

1979 kz1000 shaftie rebuild project
1045 wiseco 10.25-1 pistons
Kenny Harmon 380 lift cams

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2013 15:45 #576366 by Haybus
Replied by Haybus on topic Crappy carb gaskets- beware!
So, just to be clear. Beware of crappy carb gaskets from somewhere? I need new gaskets so i'll be sure to not buy the crappy ones from wherever.

1976 KZ900 LTD (sort of)
2005 FJR
2009 Hayabusa
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/557845...-streetfighter-build

More
10 Mar 2013 15:54 #576369 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Crappy carb gaskets- beware!

Haybus wrote: So, just to be clear. Beware of crappy carb gaskets from somewhere? I need new gaskets so i'll be sure to not buy the crappy ones from wherever.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That's why I use NOS Kawasaki gaskets. ;)

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
10 Mar 2013 16:22 - 10 Mar 2013 16:22 #576379 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Crappy carb gaskets- beware!
Yeah because you know those nos gaskets have been hermetically sealed in a pickle jar on Eds back porch since he bought his bike back in april 77,that protects them from dry rot! :woohoo:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
Last edit: 10 Mar 2013 16:22 by wireman.

More
10 Mar 2013 16:48 #576383 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Crappy carb gaskets- beware!

wireman wrote: Yeah because you know those nos gaskets have been hermetically sealed in a pickle jar on Eds back porch since he bought his bike back in april 77,that protects them from dry rot! :woohoo:

You make a very good point, but I really have never had one of them leak. It may be because all the gaskets for my carbs are still "Active" Kawasaki parts, so they are not very old? I dunno. The carb gaskets for Roadflyer's 1979 kz1000 shaftie are also still "Active" parts, so perhaps he should try them instead of aftermarket stuff of dubious quality. I'm sure they cost much more than aftermarket, but gaskets that leak are no bargain. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
10 Mar 2013 17:17 #576386 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Crappy carb gaskets- beware!
Yeah new gaskets from dealer would definitely be better than left overs from 20 yrs ago :laugh:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
10 Mar 2013 17:36 #576389 by Roadflyer
Replied by Roadflyer on topic Crappy carb gaskets- beware!

Haybus wrote: So, just to be clear. Beware of crappy carb gaskets from somewhere? I need new gaskets so i'll be sure to not buy the crappy ones from wherever.

You could probably buy the same crappy gaskets I bought from lots of sellers, so ID'ing the seller is pointless. The point would be, buy OEM or you take your chances. If you buy aftermarket avoid the tan colored carb gaskets with blue lettering on them. Simple Huh?

1979 kz1000 shaftie rebuild project
1045 wiseco 10.25-1 pistons
Kenny Harmon 380 lift cams