Best way to clean carbs / no choke flaps.

• Crazed98Camaro
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Feb 2013 19:16 - 27 Feb 2013 19:18 #574449 by Crazed98Camaro
Best way to clean carbs / no choke flaps. was created by Crazed98Camaro
So in the midst of winter I have taken off the TK-22 carbs and decided I wanted to clean them up. The bike ran pretty choppy. I would always have to have full choke on, even when the bike warmed up. If I gave it full throttle with full choke it would fall on its face, but if I turned off the choke it ran wonderfully, until a stop light where it would stall.

Anyways, I take off the carbs and there are no choke flaps on any of them. I understand this is a common occurrence but from what I heard the bike shouldn't even start if they are gone. Bike started up in ~45 degree weather before I took it off the road.

As well, 3 of the float bowls look very clean, while 1 is pretty gummed up.

What I am asking is what is the best way to clean these carbs? Should I soak it in some boiling water? or just carb cleaner? Should I be taking off the tops as well?

Also, I believe I am going to need to dig deep and get the choke assembly out so I can make a solid flap, then just run with a mechanical choke.

Pictures are attached of how far I have gotten at this moment.

Last edit: 27 Feb 2013 19:18 by Crazed98Camaro. Reason: pictures

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Feb 2013 03:57 - 28 Feb 2013 04:02 #574521 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Best way to clean carbs / no choke flaps.
Yes, they are very difficult to start if all of the choke flaps are missing and everything else is stock and ok. But if there are other things wrong, ironically, it can make it easier to start.

It looks like you have the stock jets, so I don't think the jets are too big, but if they are, that could allow it to start without choke plates.

If the fuel level is very high in the bowls and the overflows are clogged, it may be able to start without choke.

If the air filter is clogged, it may be able to start without choke.

Sometimes it can start just by cracking the throttle wide open while pressing the starter.

If the needles are shimmed up or set higher, that can make it easy to start without choke.

The choke operation also has a idle speed setting which is much higher than when the choke is off. You may need to set the normal idle speed screw for after the bike warms up.

All of the choke parts can be accessed from the top while the carbs are still on the motor.

For cleaning, I just use Gumout and a toothbrush. Wear nitrile gloves.

My signature has a lot of TK-22 info in case I haven't mentioned it before.
Last edit: 28 Feb 2013 04:02 by loudhvx.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.