A few quick MV26 questions.

• Ogcoda
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Killing Everything
More
27 Feb 2013 17:14 - 27 Feb 2013 17:16 #574426 by Ogcoda
A few quick MV26 questions. was created by Ogcoda
So I just rebuilt my VM26 carbs for the first time a few days ago and threw them back on the bike. I wired my bike up and hooked up my fuel line from the tank to the carbs. I gave her a few kicks and nothing happened, Getting spark, but no fuel. I have clear lines on the bike right now and it looks as if the fuel is not coming down the line... The petcock is wide open but still nothing.. So i closed the petcock, took the fuel line off and held a rag underneath it, flipped the petcock open and it started pouring fuel into the rag. Then I put the line back on and nothing came out of the petcock again.... Figuring it had to be the inline filter(KINDA OLD) i went to the store and grabbed another one. Installed it and still nothing. Getting pretty pissed off at this point so i hooked a small inline pump i had laying around the shop up to it and forced fuel down the lines and it started first kick... as soon as it stated i quickly turned off the inline pump and it ran out of fuel almost instantly. So I guess what I'm wondering is, Do the VM26 need to have a vacuum hooked up somewhere or something? I have the vacuum ports on the carbs hooked to some hosed that a looped up under my tank but i guess you could say there VTA. Also I'm ordering a new petcock as i think most of my problem is coming form that.... what do you guys think?

Also I'm not running stock tank, or petcock. and the bike ran just fine before the carb rebuild.

1978 kz1000 Bobber
2006 MazdaSpeed6
Last edit: 27 Feb 2013 17:16 by Ogcoda.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Ogcoda
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Killing Everything
More
27 Feb 2013 17:19 - 27 Feb 2013 17:21 #574427 by Ogcoda
Replied by Ogcoda on topic A few quick MV26 questions.

These are the carbs, pretty sure there the vm26s but just want to make sure...

Don't bother talking shit about the pods ether, planning on getting rid of them soon enough. B)

1978 kz1000 Bobber
2006 MazdaSpeed6
Last edit: 27 Feb 2013 17:21 by Ogcoda.

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
More
27 Feb 2013 19:33 #574452 by gd4now
Replied by gd4now on topic A few quick MV26 questions.
A couple of questions

First is the petcock you are using a vacuum one or a non-vacuum one. How many ports does it have on it? If it is a vacuum one and working correctly, then in pri setting is should flow fuel but in ON setting it will only flow fuel when vacuum is present from ether carbs or carb holder test ports.

Second - I can see what appears to be 2 open ports on the pic of your carbs, not sure what they are? But would guess that the port on #2 is a vent and the port on #3 is a vacuum port. Some of the carb sets have a vacuum port on #3 carb and some on #2 carb - if the port on #3 is a vacuum port is needs to be blocked off or connected to something that does require vacuum to function - ie petcock, clean air injection system etc.

Third, the 2 hoses you have connected together with an inline filter appear to be connected to the fuel inlets between carbs #1 - #2 and #3 - #4 but I can not from the pic if that is the case or not. Some carb sets have a single fuel inlet between #2 -#3 carb and some dual inlets.

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

• Ogcoda
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Killing Everything
More
28 Feb 2013 17:44 #574586 by Ogcoda
Replied by Ogcoda on topic A few quick MV26 questions.
I'm using this petcock. it has an "On" "Off" and "Reserve" also the carbs have 3 vents and two fuel outlets witch the black fuel line is feeding in the picture.

1978 kz1000 Bobber
2006 MazdaSpeed6

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
More
28 Feb 2013 18:20 #574591 by gd4now
Replied by gd4now on topic A few quick MV26 questions.
OK there are not 3 vents - rather there are 2 bowl vents and one vacuum port.

The bowl vents are on #2 and #4 carb and should be open to the air.

The vacuum port is on #3 and should be plugged off - not open to the air. If left open then the carb is pulling in air via this port and will certainly create a lean mix on the carb and cylinder. You can get rubber or plastic caps to cover it, or use a proper sized hose with a screw in the end or it, or a plug/with hose clamp in the end of it. Just do plug the vacuum port on #3.

As to your pods, make sure they do not block off any of the air jets in the carb throat. I have read of some that do this. If the air jets are blocked off by the pods then no air is getting to the pilot or main circuits which can certainly keep the bike from starting.

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT