bike wont start just pop, pop, pop, pop, BANG!

More
03 Mar 2013 17:26 #575088 by Davereplicant
Replied by Davereplicant on topic bike wont start just pop, pop, pop, pop, BANG!

trianglelaguna wrote: you can also get set of working carbs any day of the week for 100-150 on fleabay...and fix yours as you have time

your idle circuit is clogged...if you start it on full ckoke and no throttle what happens...

dont let the bike run for more than a minute/2 without air running over it...turn it off for a few imo

Hi I've been working on my carbs on and off. I've completely stripped and blew out the carbs couple of times, polished the bores and slides with brass, and re-assembled making sure the cv rubbers are in the notch wil a stage 3 dynajet kit (new bigger mains and needles). After adjusting the mixture screws and balancing I'm pretty happy with it.

In your opinion is the bike starting on full choke with no throttle a good thing? Mines does that and will tick over at around 3500-4000 rpm until I drop it onto half choke at 2000 isn then idle after a few minutes.

Would you say this is good in your opinion?

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2013 18:11 #575104 by Patton

Davereplicant wrote:

trianglelaguna wrote: ...is the bike starting on full choke with no throttle a good thing?....

The enrichener circuit performs most efficiently with zero throttle.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
04 Mar 2013 23:53 #575354 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic bike wont start just pop, pop, pop, pop, BANG!
maybe it needs a "proper tune" what does the air filter look like?

More
05 Mar 2013 16:48 #575472 by TaborCT
Gas tank was washed out. Already has a liner in it so no rust. I repaired the intake boots. It was obvious they were leaking really bad and discovered that someone tried gasket matching the head at some point. Also dyna ignition so no rust. I'm goin to head out to the shop tonight and pop the intakes back off and clean the carburetors again for the third time and yes I do it correctly. I've been working on carbureted cars a long time. Same concept with a bike but I've learned they are a completely different beast.

Not all men are created equal. Thats why we can handle a KZ!

More
06 Mar 2013 02:35 #575596 by Red Good
Replied by Red Good on topic bike wont start just pop, pop, pop, pop, BANG!
Saw that you said the plugs looked wet ? Have you tried a fresh set of plugs ?Red

More
06 Mar 2013 18:28 #575683 by TaborCT
Yes fresh plugs. I've said that many times. Fresh plugs fresh plugs fresh plugs. So I got the repaired intakes on and there is an improvement. It pops off of choke now instead of just on it. My next step and the only thing I can think of that's still left as a probable cause is the valve clearances. I'll start on that after spring break so it may be awhile before I'm back on. I found the shim chart on here before but can't find it again. Can any post it if they have it so I can print it. Thanks

Not all men are created equal. Thats why we can handle a KZ!

More
06 Mar 2013 18:40 #575690 by 650ed
I just re-read you original post. You stated "I ran it in the shop until i burned that whole tank of gas."

That must have taken a very long time. What did you do to prevent the engine from over-heating?
Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)