Leaking Gas Out of Airbox overnight

More
27 Feb 2013 02:28 - 27 Feb 2013 02:42 #574361 by TaborCT
Replied by TaborCT on topic Leaking Gas Out of Airbox overnight
i believe i saw others say this but the only cause of that is floats not sealing and your carbs are overflowing. get a petcock or fix the floats. At least one auto parts store sells an inline petcock or may even be able to rig you a brass on off valve if your tank is threaded. just make sure u know what thread it is or take the tank with u

Not all men are created equal. Thats why we can handle a KZ!
Last edit: 27 Feb 2013 02:42 by Patton.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• newOld_kz1000
  • User
  • FlimFlamFlibbityFlee !! BoonFryedShickaMuhZee !!
More
27 Feb 2013 14:33 - 27 Feb 2013 14:34 #574415 by newOld_kz1000
Replied by newOld_kz1000 on topic Leaking Gas Out of Airbox overnight

TaborCT wrote: i believe i saw others say this but the only cause of that is floats not sealing and your carbs are overflowing. get a petcock or fix the floats. At least one auto parts store sells an inline petcock or may even be able to rig you a brass on off valve if your tank is threaded. just make sure u know what thread it is or take the tank with u

Actually that's a bit misleading. I've had perfectly functioning carbs, most recently on a Kz650, where the float, float needle and seat were fine but the petcock was leaking.

Maybe it's weight, or pressure, or maybe the design of the needle and seat and float system are designed to *regulate* the entry of gas into the carb that's behind this.

I'm pretty sure the design limits of the petcock are to *stop gas flow*.

I don't believe, in any carb with float/needle/seat that those parts are designed as a 'redundant' fuel stop to take over for the petcock if the petcock fails and leaks overnight.

The float/needle/seat design limits are to *regulate* the incremental flow of gas into the carb, but I've had several failed leaking petcocks on different bikes overcome perfectly functioning carbs.

Perhaps the overnight sitting, ie. the length of time, and all the gas in the tank and gravity are enough to overcome the lightly-sprung float needle. It's a lot to ask that float needle to stand up to a heavy volume of gasoline over 8 hours.

After dealing with this leaking petcock problem several times and finding nothing wrong with the float/needle/seat functioning I no longer expect those parts to double as a fuel shutoff for failed, leaking petcocks. The float/needle/seat were designed to *regulate* gas flow into the carbs. Seeping gas over many hours due to a leaking petcock -- not the float system's fault.

1978 kz1000 A2 with Kerker
1980 Z1 Classic with Kerker
Last edit: 27 Feb 2013 14:34 by newOld_kz1000.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.