Slow throttle return

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
23 Jan 2013 23:15 #568883 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Slow throttle return
As suggested vacuum leaks are common for this. But also carb sync, or lean condition can cause this. Fuel levels and running vacuum sync should be checked.
Can you push back on the throttle linkage at the carbs and have it slow down?

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jan 2013 01:01 #568892 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Slow throttle return
Ok; it sounds like you've tested for a lot of the usual causes already. Here's one other question - assuming you still have the push/pull throttle cables, when the idle hangs up if you twist the throttle to the "closed" position does the engine idle down immediately? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
24 Jan 2013 01:22 #568896 by Richie7
Replied by Richie7 on topic Slow throttle return
Carbs are cleaned, synched and adjusted though.
Yes, I can slow it down by pushing the pulley manually. I can also feel that there is a resistance when I try to pull the pulley by hand.

Motor Head wrote: As suggested vacuum leaks are common for this. But also carb sync, or lean condition can cause this. Fuel levels and running vacuum sync should be checked.
Can you push back on the throttle linkage at the carbs and have it slow down?

1976 KZ900A4
98 CBR900RR Front End
01 GSXR1000 Swingarm + Wheel
Wiseco 1015cc Piston Kit
Dyna ignition + Accell Coils
VM28 Pumpers

More
24 Jan 2013 01:28 #568899 by Richie7
Yes, I have. I can force the idle to come back by twisting the throttle back but not significantly. It's weird because I could at least twist back the throttle and rev back the rpm by throttle a couple days ago, but now it seems that it's not effective anymore.

650ed wrote: Ok; it sounds like you've tested for a lot of the usual causes already. Here's one other question - assuming you still have the push/pull throttle cables, when the idle hangs up if you twist the throttle to the "closed" position does the engine idle down immediately? Ed

1976 KZ900A4
98 CBR900RR Front End
Wiseco 1015cc Piston Kit
VM28 Pumpers

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
24 Jan 2013 10:50 #568936 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Slow throttle return
Since it will slow/ return with a bit of pressure on the linkage. Have you checked to see if there is still adjustment for the Idle Speed Screw? Can you still back it out and have the Idle drop? If not the Slides may well be adjusted to High on the Crossbar Linkage. This will keep them up, and not allow them to return fully.
Otherwise sounds Lean, this will make it Hang at High Idle.
Did you recently change the Air Filter housing/ Box to "Pod's"?

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
24 Jan 2013 10:56 #568939 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Slow throttle return
As Kidkawie suggested you may want to clean and lube the ignition advancer (if you haven't already done so). When they get sticky they can cause odd symptoms. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
24 Jan 2013 12:26 #568953 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic Slow throttle return
I'm not familiar with your carbs, but if you can: remove the carb caps and spray some WD40 around the slides, work the throttle while you're doing this to saturate the slides. Start it up and see if it changes. Otherwise, it's a vacuum leak or dirty advancer. You need to totally disassembele the advancer, clean and lube with some lightweight grease. You can't tell if it's dirty just by moving the weights with a screwdriver.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

More
24 Jan 2013 12:54 #568957 by Richie7
I can drop idle by twisting the adjuster.
The bike came with pods when I bought it, but the jetting was stock. It wasn't running right, so I re-jetted myself. 120 main, 22.5 slow, 1 1/4 turn out for mixture-screw, and needle clip in the middle.
The bike idles smooth and pulls hard at all speed except 1/8-1/4 throttle gives me out-of-gas symptom. I was going to play with the needle to see if I can get rid of the symptom, but slow return problem got in the way.
I think I ought to check everything from scratch.

Motor Head wrote: Since it will slow/ return with a bit of pressure on the linkage. Have you checked to see if there is still adjustment for the Idle Speed Screw? Can you still back it out and have the Idle drop? If not the Slides may well be adjusted to High on the Crossbar Linkage. This will keep them up, and not allow them to return fully.
Otherwise sounds Lean, this will make it Hang at High Idle.
Did you recently change the Air Filter housing/ Box to "Pod's"?

1976 KZ900A4
98 CBR900RR Front End
Wiseco 1015cc Piston Kit
VM28 Pumpers

More
24 Jan 2013 12:55 #568958 by Richie7
Ok, I will check one more time and see what happens.

650ed wrote: As Kidkawie suggested you may want to clean and lube the ignition advancer (if you haven't already done so). When they get sticky they can cause odd symptoms. Ed

1976 KZ900A4
98 CBR900RR Front End
Wiseco 1015cc Piston Kit
VM28 Pumpers

More
24 Jan 2013 13:02 #568964 by Richie7
When I was rebuilding and setting the timing, I did not lube the parts as I assumed that all the parts look and feel good. I am going to get in there one more time and check everything. I will try the WD-40 around the slides, too.

Looks like I'm gonna have busy weekend. Fun :)

Kidkawie wrote: I'm not familiar with your carbs, but if you can: remove the carb caps and spray some WD40 around the slides, work the throttle while you're doing this to saturate the slides. Start it up and see if it changes. Otherwise, it's a vacuum leak or dirty advancer. You need to totally disassembele the advancer, clean and lube with some lightweight grease. You can't tell if it's dirty just by moving the weights with a screwdriver.

1976 KZ900A4
98 CBR900RR Front End
Wiseco 1015cc Piston Kit
VM28 Pumpers

More
24 Jan 2013 13:11 #568967 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Slow throttle return
If not done yet, disconnect the cables, start the bike and manipulate the carbs by hand, see what happens.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Richie7

More
24 Jan 2013 15:05 #568976 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Slow throttle return

Richie7 wrote: Motorcycle:
1976 Kawasaki KZ900 A4

Carbs:
Mikuni 26mm with K&N oval filters(Main-120, Pilot-22.5, Needle clip-in the middle) Cleaned, rebuilt with new parts and lubed.

Problem:
Slow throttle return WHEN THE ENGINE IS RUNNING. Snaps right back when the engine is not running.

I can visually confirm that the throttle pulley slowly returns when it just hits the idle adjuster. The symptom is more obvious when I blip the throttle just a hair touch. All the linkages have been cleaned and lubed. I replaced the return spring. I checked all the places that relate to the linkage system, but no luck. The only thing I can think of is the throttle valves being worn out causing escaped air between the valves and carb bodies. Is this possible? I appreciate all your advises.

Stock pilot jet is 17.5

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD