Petcock Problem?

More
21 Jan 2013 03:39 #568474 by badrhino
Petcock Problem? was created by badrhino
Does anyone know what could cause my fuel to not flow quickly into my line? I have a clear filter and when I put petcock on prime to fill the line it takes forever for it to completely fill up. It is a new petcock and the hose is new also.

1980 KZ1000 with a 1982 KZ1000J motor with 1100 pistons and heads, Vance & Hines, 29MM Smooth Bores, Work in Progress
Franken Z!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
21 Jan 2013 04:10 #568480 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Petcock Problem?
Try opening gas cap to see if tank is venting B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
21 Jan 2013 11:01 #568492 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic Petcock Problem?

wireman wrote: Try opening gas cap to see if tank is venting B)

+ 1

78 KZ1000 A2A

More
21 Jan 2013 11:19 #568494 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Petcock Problem?
That's not necessarily a problem. Often the fuel filters don't fill quickly or don't ever fill completely even though fuel flow is sufficient. It may have to do with the air in the filter not being able to percolate up the fuel line into the tank very easily because of the fuel flowing down through the fuel line. As long as the engine isn't starving for fuel at wide open throttle you're probably ok. One way to check if the fuel is flowing at full rate is to pull the fuel line off the bottom of the filter and direct the flow into a can while you open the petcock. It should flow plenty fast. No smoking during this test! Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
21 Jan 2013 18:01 #568539 by badrhino
Replied by badrhino on topic Petcock Problem?
It's not the ventilation of the cap as I opened the gas cap and no noticeable difference.

1980 KZ1000 with a 1982 KZ1000J motor with 1100 pistons and heads, Vance & Hines, 29MM Smooth Bores, Work in Progress
Franken Z!

• wireman
  • User
More
21 Jan 2013 18:04 #568540 by wireman
Id try Eds trick then,if it still just trickles Id check the petcock.

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• wireman
  • User
More
21 Jan 2013 18:05 #568541 by wireman
Is it a regular 1980 ltd style tank or is it a vacuam petcock? B)

More
22 Jan 2013 02:08 #568605 by badrhino
Replied by badrhino on topic Petcock Problem?
It's a newer vacuum petcock. It is quite small and is a tight fit so I am thinking maybe that is one of the problems. The nipple comes out toward the rear and is fairly close to the down tube so my fuel line/hose is in a pretty tight spot.

Franken Z!

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
22 Jan 2013 02:23 #568607 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic Petcock Problem?
maybe there is some dirt jimmyjammed in the screen inside the gas tank, I would look on the online to see if there is some sea-foam carburetor cleaner that you could put in there.

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
24 Jan 2013 23:33 #569094 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic Petcock Problem?
I got a pet-cat problem, they took my computer chair. I have noticed on my own vacuum petcock that the float needle things have a spring loaded button thing on there, not sure if that is standard??? when I put it to prime, as a regular petcock would have as reserve the engine gets too much fuel and I have to blow some of it out the exhaust. this is where the reed valves are handy, flame thrower style.