Kawasaki Kz1000G Fuel Pressure Regulator

More
12 Jan 2013 19:53 #567025 by Z Parts
If my fuel pressure regulator is bad will the bike still start.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jan 2013 20:08 #567027 by Lorcan
Replied by Lorcan on topic Kawasaki Kz1000G Fuel Pressure Regulator
It might, but it won't run for long.

760cc - 8.69@162mph
810cc, 211mph www.750turbo.com
www.stormdragbike.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
12 Jan 2013 21:39 #567040 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Kawasaki Kz1000G Fuel Pressure Regulator
I'd imagine you'll need 33 PSI at idle and 35 PSI when you need more power(off idle).
If the regulator has failed, and other electrical items have been tested good(the air flow sensor in the air filter box can be a problem),here's some information:

KZ1000 G Model First Generation FI

So for anyone else with this one-year-only Kz1000 "Z1 Classic", here are a few ways to find this switch:

1) 1979 Datsun 280zx "Throttle Valve Switch"

2) 1980 Datsun 200sx, find it at
Remartautoparts.com, with Remart part # TH114

3) "BECK ARNLEY 158-0492 Fuel Injector Throttle Switch" (NOTE: the 158-0492 is a 'master' part number apparently that most Auto parts stores can use to find all the vendors of this switch)

4) 1986 Nissan 300ZX Turbo "Throttle Position Sensor",
the part is mfg. by 'Nile'

Kawasaki TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) Differences

Just a quick note, The TPS from an 81model (B1) is not the same as a TPS from an 82 model (B2), the 81 TPS is just a switch for on-idle / off-idle while the TPS in an 82 (and onwards) is a true Throttle Position Sensor. The B1 EFI hardware is rubbish and is essentially the same as the z100G/z1000H models.

See here for the differences: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_GPZ1100_B1/B2

1980 KZ 1000 G1 (Z1 Classic) (Possibly a repeat of above information).
I took this from the www.kzrider website.

below is a description with autos and part numbers for this throttle switch. ONLY COST $80.

This little switch has *profound* affects on the usability of the bike. Only 1 side of the 2-pole switch was intermittently bad, and it basically made the bike UNUSABLE.

I found the switch today at O'Reilly Auto Parts store here in Silicon Valley -- they used the matching autos to look it up in the O'Reilly computer in the store (using 'Kawasaki' or the Kaw part number was *not* useful, it had to be a car with the year/model or a part number for the switch).

The local O'Reilly store today looked it up for the 1979 Datsun 280zx and they HAD ONE IN STOCK. Put it on the bike, I'm gone on a 45-minute ride around the Valley!
NARY A HICKUP. Bike is fiiiiiine.

So for anyone else with this one-year-only Kz1000 "Z1 Classic", here are a few ways to find this switch:

Re:1980 Kz1000
larrycavan wrote:

If you end up needing a fuel pressure regulator, Google "pogue machine Oklahoma City" Call them. You'll either get Sid or Butch on the phone. Get one of their adjustable regulators. You probably won't have to even touch it after bolting it on.

You guys are doing a good job diagnosing this bike. If you can afford it, get the injectors cleaned & balanced too.

FYI, the filter will never be full when the bike is running. Generally 1/2 - 3/4.

Check all the vacuum hoses over carefully. That rubber is pretty old now

Larry C

Okay thanks Larry, yes these guys have helped me take the bike from:
- not running for 10 years
- running like a new bike
It was a long road but the rewards in learning and riding have been great. I have to say without Motor Head this bike would probably have carbs on it right now. Let me say the prior owner had really given up on ever getting this going again, it is remarkable that apparently the bike has turned a corner for now. I am open to the possibility of the 'rough running' symptoms returning but right now it is running incredibly well.

Thanks for the pointer to the fuel regulator -- that sounds like a good feature to be adjustable and will check it out if my regulator gets ornery.

I was planning to get the injectors cleaned but this bike is close to pulling up the front end on a hand full of throttle so for now I'm going to ride it. However I will check the hoses which is something I have not done. Most of the turnaround effort on this bike has been electrical in nature.

1) 1979 Datsun 280zx "Throttle Valve Switch"

2) 1980 Datsun 200sx, find it at
Remartautoparts.com, with Remart part # TH114

3) "BECK ARNLEY 158-0492 Fuel Injector Throttle Switch" (NOTE: the 158-0492 is a 'master' part number apparently that most Auto parts stores can use to find all the vendors of this switch)

4) 1986 Nissan 300ZX Turbo "Throttle Position Sensor",
the part is mfg. by 'Nile'

If I were you, I'd buy one to have on hand if your bike acts up like this rider's did.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)