• Page:

TOPIC:

Major carb issues. (((ITS FIXXED!!! - WOW!!!))) 21 Jun 2006 22:47 #56171

• ran429
  • ran429's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
  • Thank you received: 2
my kz750E is about to take a one way trip to the lake.

ok, a couple weeks ago, Scumbag & I rode around a little, I noticed a heavy smell of fuel at the light so I looked down. #3&4 carbs were spilling fuel all over my new engine paint, so i took it home.

Later on, scumbag & I took those carbs apart (all 4) and reset the float height on them all. well that fixed #3&4 from spilling over through the overflows but then #1&2 started.

Now today I took em apart again, put another needle seit in #2 because it was doing it constantly, figuered all was good finally so Scumbag & I took off at high rates of madness just to get 10-15 miles away & get stranded. so Brian took off to his house to fetch the truck as I wasnt balzy enough to risk riding it home with fuel spilling constantly (only under prime position or when running before) but now today the petcock wouldnt shut off either so I had to tear into that as well (now working).

But the #3 carb (theyre moving around) will spill over because too much fuel gets too them or something.

What should i do next?

floats are all good, needle seits look great.

im stumped.

Post edited by: ran429, at: 2006/06/24 00:45

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Major carb issues. 21 Jun 2006 23:33 #56175

• scumbag
  • User
  • Lewd, Screwed, and Tattooed
  • Thank you received: 5
I was thinkin its the floats and the needle seat.....man its a real brain buster......help this guy out.....I need a riding partner
sept.1976 kz650
1980 kz650

Major carb issues. 22 Jun 2006 05:31 #56194

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Are those Keihin CV34s Randy? Well, if I owned a bike with those things, I would swap to BS34s.

Actually, if you have adjusted the float level using the SERVICE FUEL LEVEL method (not float level set w/carbs upside down) and put in new needles after cleaning the seats, that is about all that can be done. Those things don't have any screens under the seats and I suspect grit is getting in between the needle and seats OR the floats are bent where they are hanging. If you don't have an inline filter in place, put one in and then remove the bowls and make sure none of the floats hangs when you push it up... push them all up a few times...
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Major carb issues. 22 Jun 2006 07:40 #56221

• trippivot
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
check closely that the float needle has NO wear ring on the point. sanding the tip makes it worse . K&L has a needle and seat set that is as reasonable as it gets. I say get all 4 new. the control of fuel is a huge deal for a safe bike
here is your fate... again
Attachments:

Major carb issues. 22 Jun 2006 10:27 #56266

• ran429
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
this sucks, i need the bike running this sunday for a rid and to take my nephew to the all harley drags here in kent.
its going to ruin my nephews day if i cant get them working properly by then.
going to be riding with around 100 patcholders in a local club.
hope i get them fixed. no time to get a new set nor any money right now, its all spent on arm bands to get in.

Major carb issues. 22 Jun 2006 10:59 #56270

• hwms
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Check the float hinge pins.

Major carb issues. 22 Jun 2006 11:52 #56286

• trippivot
  • User
set up a reserve tank so it is above the level you are working at and hook up a fuel line. re-adjust the carb floats and re assemble, turn on the gas and wait to see if it leaks ... do it again and again and again until it dont leak. do the work in a clean pan so you can save the gas and re-use.. when it's dry you might get a good ride ... if it never stops leaking... get new parts you can fight it but if the parts are worn out they are worn out

Major carb issues. 22 Jun 2006 13:50 #56322

• ran429
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
Its got to be just particles getting in the carbs then, i took them all 4 completely apart one by one, blew them out & cleaned the insides again.

Let it run (with a fan blowing on it) for awhile. it didnt do it. let it site for awhile when i ate my lunch and went back out and the #3 carb splopped some fuel out while i was standing there.

guess its new carbs time.

Post edited by: ran429, at: 2006/06/23 00:45

Major carb issues. 22 Jun 2006 14:05 #56325

• trippivot
  • User
did you take out the float needle seat? there is a screen behind all 4 the brass seats that will hide junk and get cloged up and keep you wondering when it will end. use 2 filters if the tank is rusty

Major carb issues. 22 Jun 2006 14:32 #56331

• ran429
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
no, i didnt take them out, just all the bowls & diaphram caps.

I didnt see a way to get them out, do they just unscrew with Pliers? There isnt a slot for a screwdriver on them.

Major carb issues. 22 Jun 2006 20:04 #56390

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 435
Randy,
If your carbs are Keihin CV 34s then you cant remove the brass seats. I have found that if you soak a Q tip in carb cleaner and run it around the seat it helps get crud off. I can sympathise as I have had the same thing happen. Final fix was new needles - which I think you did - and the old Q tip trick. Also real important was a new fuel filter - big help.
Good luck.
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

Major carb issues. 22 Jun 2006 21:52 #56435

• ran429
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
well. so far they arent leaking again after this cleaning. i soaked everything in berrymans while doing it. i took out the diaphragms on top and one had a gouge taken out of it so i replaced it with another one. one of the needles on the diaphragms also showed signs of wear so it too was replaced.
the inlet needle seat in the brass fittings were in real nice shape except one so i put one of my spares in it too.
i started up the fan and let the bike run for 45 minutes and no leaks. but it always started doing it on the road for some reason though, so i loaded all my tools I've been using in the tail piece.

tomorrow i will run it up the freeway about 5 miles at high rates of speed and see how it fairs for me.

until tomorrow now. plus i put on a fuel filter i had for my truck too. seems to be good now (i hope)

NOW OFF TO GET THE BERRYMANS OFF ME.

Post edited by: ran429, at: 2006/06/24 22:05

• Page: