single carb cable

More
05 Dec 2012 22:24 #561547 by gixxerfiend
single carb cable was created by gixxerfiend
I swear one day I will quit asking so many questions :) The other day on a 100 or so mile ride, I had to keep adjusting the throttle cable tension tighter, eventually it ended up breaking as I was going down the road. I was able to set the idle high and limp it to my fathers house then come back with the truck the next day. I have only 1 throttle cable, one of the previous owners took the time in eliminating the push cable and put a bolt in where the the push cable goes on the trottle assembly. My guess is he also put an heavy spring on the carbs (definatly a stiff throttle pull but I got used to it) It snaps back fast. How stiff is the return spring on the carbs? Or is there even a spring on vm24 accelerator pump carbs? What should I do?

2006 GSXR 1000
2005 CBR 600rr
1977 KZ 650

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Dec 2012 23:05 #561557 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic single carb cable
The VM24 return spring snaps the carbs shut damned fast. If it was mine I would first consider why I had to keep adjusting the throttle cable (was it breaking at that time?) because that is not normal at all. Then I try to isolate the cause of the broken cable. Once corrected, I would replace both cables and make sure they and the throttle tube were properly lubed and maintained. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
06 Dec 2012 00:46 #561586 by gixxerfiend
Replied by gixxerfiend on topic single carb cable
Thx ed. I think that was just the day it just decided to fray. I have a cable luber tool and i used it on the throttle and the clutch cable a couple of weeks after buying it, then again a month or so after that. Still there is no telling how old the cable is, looks pretty old? This may be a dumb question but why does the bike need a push or return cable if the spring is that strong? Wouldn't this spring be enough to return the throttle by its self?

2006 GSXR 1000
2005 CBR 600rr
1977 KZ 650

More
06 Dec 2012 01:16 #561596 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic single carb cable
It's a safety feature. If for some reason the throttle stuck open (maybe the spring broke or was installed improperly and popped off, maybe the (pull) throttle cable was kinked or jammed, or maybe something got sucked into a carb) the rider could force the throttle closed just by instinctively twisting the grip to the closed position. I could see this being especially useful if the throttle jammed open in a curve or heavy traffic where immediate response was required. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
06 Dec 2012 11:08 #561651 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic single carb cable
The close cable is handy as a spare if the open cable breaks.